Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What else should I do to my 15f?

Ski is at dealer right now.... currently having r&d plate, skat prop, and plenum filter kit installed. They talked about boring the nozzle (correct description??), but I'm not sure if they're going to or what it would really do for me.

I live on a lake, not really much chop, but I ride pretty hard. In stock form, it's really difficult for me to keep the ass end planted when carving hard on tight buoys. I'm hoping the ride plate will help with that.

What I want:

I'd like more acceleration, get on plane quicker, and carve a lot harder. More speed would be nice, but I'm not trying to hit 80. (close to 70 NA would be cool)

The mods being installed currently should help with the first two, but I haven't ridden it yet and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and order some sponsons?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by flnz400; 11-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.

+1
    You will enjoy the plate and I would definitely put sponsons on if you are doing buoys. You can do the offshore kit for more speed but then you are in the engine and might affect reliability. I have the plate, sponsons and air filter and it is quicker a little faster but there are so many crafts out there that are supercharged I just did it for me and it is fast enough.

+1
    With the R&D plate, prop, & air filter you should get what you are looking for, I did just that, but used a Solas prop, greatly improved acceleration & top speed, & it stays planted in the water with the R&D. I hit 65 on the GPS with this setup, you will only see 70 on the speedo.

Slap a set of zx12 cams a fuel controller and a skat pump and you be a very happy man. My buddy has his set up and it runs 68+ on gps all day, no dream meter, and gets there in a hurry.

Yeah I'm not sure what pitch my prop is going to be... I hope both brands are just as good since the dealer prefers Skat. The guys said they would just call skat and tell them the mods going on the ski and order the pitch they recommended for an all around increase. (I said I didn't wanna end up with a giant top end increase and suffer acceleration just to pull that prop)

Yeah my speedo is normally around 62, but I gps'd with the iphone app offered here (very handy btw!) and I'm at 58.5

I'll have to look into the cams and pump, though I'm only at 20 hours. I think the pump is pricey but there's one for sale in the classifieds right now 1k.

(it probably wouldn't fit without re glassing the sides of the ski, but a 300 motor in one of these would prob be pretty badass! )

+1
    That isn't even broken in well yet. You should see over 60 with a stock ski so if you were under 60 you will see a big inprovement. They are very fun skis.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    What is your budget is the first question that needs to be answered. If you bore the nozzle you will gain acceleration but lose top speed unless you get some more water moving through the pump.

Sean

Got it back and rode it yesterday. At first I was disappointed and thought it lost low end, but after riding it again this morning, I think it just has WAY more mid range pull and makes the bottom hit (off the line) less pronounced. It definitely pulls like a freight train from 30-60 now, whereas it felt as thought it would fall on it's face after 45-50 before.

Handling also changed drastically... it carves different, and I can tell less of the forward hull is biting when banking really hard. Also super nose light over chop now and lands much harder than stock.

R & D plate, skat 13/19, and R & D plenum filter were installed, as well as fresh service were performed.

Gps'd it this morning, 61.6, up from 58.5 prior to upgrades. Not glass, but fairly flat. How the hell you guys are seeing 65ish I have no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    What is your budget is the first question that needs to be answered. If you bore the nozzle you will gain acceleration but lose top speed unless you get some more water moving through the pump.

Sean
    I'm not really sure... I've been thinking about that, and where the cutoff is that makes sense. I just spent $900+ for 3 mph, though the acceleration throughout the powerband is much better.

If I could supercharge it for 5k and be able to run down a 300 that would be badass, plus I'd be close to the price of a 300 anyway. But it kinda seems like there's less up front cash and greater reliability just buying a 300 if I wanna go a lot faster, I just don't like how big it is. (haven't ridden it yet, figured if I rode it I'd wanna buy it, so I declined)

Good question though, I'm just not sure where the threshold is for putting money into my ski versus starting with a more suitable platform. (picking up a used 260 or 300 next year may be smarter than trying to force mine into that class, but I can't say having a sleeper/260 killer doesn't intrigue me)

I'm sure someone has been in my shoes before, feel free to chime in!

+1
    The only difference between your mods & mine is the prop, I am using a Solas 13/19. What kind of rpm are you running, was fuel tank full or low, type of fuel you are using? When I test I have less than 1/2 tank fuel & sit as far back on the seat as possible just peeking over the handlebars to see where I am going to get max speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information