Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Island Hop

+1

Island Hop

Hey all, newbie here

I was wondering what pwc you all would suggest for a 30 mile island hop in 3-5 foot Atlantic swells/chop.

1. $5000 budget
    2. Thinking non-supercharged, as I wont be able to go 70mph in these conditions, and fuel here is $7 a gallon
    3. Is there a big difference in fuel consumption between a supercharged and naturally aspirated machine.
    4. Though it is supercharged, I looked at a 2006 gtx-4......good machine?

Thanks

+1
    Anyone

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    higher h.p. = higher fuel consumption.
    W.O.T. = higher fuel consumption

...similar to driving. many things can affect your range.

For 30 mile hops(one-way, I'm guessing) shouldnt be a problem - including the 30 mile return (60 mile total trip).

The supercharged machines do require more maintenance.

the GTX is a good machine, but there are also many things that come into consideration here too.
    Total hours & overall condition of machine, maintenance practices of previous owner(s), etc., etc.

+1
    Except for possibly the new SD S-3 type hull, Kawi is the king of the chop. For the $5K and your riding conditions, I'd look at a NA Kawi and do your homework for any "known issues" for what ever year/model you choose.

Good luck,

only the kawi supercharged had the better chop hull, the stx12 and 15 can be compared to the gti as far as ride goes. i'd look into a gtx n/a 4-tech, or a honda f15 ,I doubt that you'll find many with low hours in that price range though. a yamaha fx cruiser isn't a bad choice neither.

+1
    you could easily find a GTX or the wake edition skis for that price. Get either the 175 or 155, and theyll run forever. They also handle the chop very well

+1
    Thanks guys, yea I am totally new to pwc, really my main concerns are:

1. Reliability!!! I am currently living on a rock in the ocean with 1000 residents! Repiars will be near impossible! I work in the powerplant here so I can do the work myself, but the parts would have to be ordered and I am unfamiliar with these machines.

2. Making the trip in one piece! I am very familiar with the ocean, am pretty fit, and love adventure, but I don't want to die out there.

I would just buy a small boat, but my pockets aren't deep enough
    Last edited by indosurf; 10-31-2011 at 08:40 PM.

go with the honda NA…. all u have to do is change oil… and when u do have to work on em they r simple…. friend has a company that does tours…. solid machine

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    If reliability is a major concern, I would stick with a N/A (naturally aspirated) engine.
    I, personally, dunno squat about the Hondas, other than of all the sections in G.H.; the Honda section is by far the smallest. i dunno if this means that few like them, or if they are costly, or what.
    I've heard alot of people saying that the N/A Yamahas are capable of 2000 hrs w/o rebuilds, when properly maintained.
    Gosh, that almost hurt, being that i am pretty brand loyal to Sea-Doo; but facts are facts, and i have not heard of rental businesses/individuals claiming that w/ a 'Doo.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    but facts are facts, and i have not heard of rental businesses/individuals claiming that w/ a 'Doo.
    I agree and have heard that about the N/A Yamahas but all the jet ski rental places around my area are all Sea Doos. I remember talking with he guy and since it was around August he said the skis had 1300 hours on the original motors. Ran fine too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information