Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Buying a used trailer with torsion axles...a few questions.

So I'm picking up a 95 Triton WCII Elite which has torsion axles.

If the torsion part is worn out, how would I know? And if it's worn out will it lower the trailers capacity? So if it's 1700# new could it be 1200# now?

If I wanted to increase the capacity could I just replace the axle/tires?

Thanks!

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    I know that this is an old thread (and I'm pretty confident you've since purchased, or passed on the trailer) but I thought I'd reply anyways for anyone's future reference.

You can't really inspect the wear-and-tear factor on a torsion axle since the actual 'springs' (or rubber, in the case of a torsion axle) is almost always internal on these sorts of suspensions. Often the only indication that the rubber has failed (or is failing, aka, can't support proper loads anymore) is a loss of factory ride height. A typical symptom is that the trailer is sitting low and the tires have very little clearance from the top of the fender. In extreme cases there may be signs (wear/scrub marks on the fender) from where the tires were impacting the fenders while going over bumps. This may only happen while loaded, so inspection and a test drive while the machine is loaded to capacity would be wise.

As for increasing capacity...well, technically yes, replacing the axle and tires would allow an increase, but you must remember that the frame is also a critical part of the trailer system - you can't put a 10,000LB axle (purely for example) on a trailer that was designed and manufactured for 3000LB and subsequently expect the frame to hold it. It's also important to note that in the letter of the law the axle rating is only as good as the original factory sticker on your trailer declared it - so if it was manufactured with a 3K axle, putting a 5K axle on it won't matter if you ever get pulled over for a suspected overload inspection. Highly unlikely, but possible - the law will only ever respect your trailer for being 3K rated. The only possible way around this is to apply to the manufacturer for a re-rate - HIGHLY unlikely you'd ever accomplish this as the first thing they would state is that the frame itself wasn't designed for overloading to begin with.

+1
    Yes, we bought the trailer. I think it's fine, I have it loaded and theres still an inch or so between the tires and fender. According to Triton, the only way you could really decrease the capacity is if the trailer had been overloaded at one point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    So I'm picking up a 95 Triton WCII Elite which has torsion axles.

If the torsion part is worn out, how would I know? And if it's worn out will it lower the trailers capacity? So if it's 1700# new could it be 1200# now?

If I wanted to increase the capacity could I just replace the axle/tires?

Thanks!
    I call shore lander trailers and ask about the torsion axles and they told me that there was not a up grade axle for my trailer to make it hold more weight. Not sure if they just wanted to sell me a new trailer or what. Not sure about Triton trailers. Good luck

I bought one a couple nights ago and there seems to be zero bounce to it. It appears like the torsion axles are rusted up and seized. Is it even possible to seize up a rubber axle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD Solutions View Post
    I bought one a couple nights ago and there seems to be zero bounce to it. It appears like the torsion axles are rusted up and seized. Is it even possible to seize up a rubber axle?
    It's possible that the internal rubber has lost it's load carrying capacity and it's basically sitting on the stops already.

How old is the trailer, and what kind of load did you have on it when you noticed the lack of articulation?

It's a 2004 and the only load was my fat azz standing on the bunks. All it had on it previously was a Kawasaki STX-12F. I noticed that one side was sitting slightly lower than the other. They didn't budge a MM when I bounced on it.

+1
    2 or 4 place? If it's a 4 place it'll need a lot more weight than that of a person in order to get much movement out of the suspension as torsion systems are naturally fairly tight until loaded.

The fact it's lower on one side than the other isn't a good thing though - it would indicate (to me at least) that the rubber has failed on one side of the suspension.

It is a single place trailer.

+1
    Doh, sorry, meant to say 1 or 2 place.

If it's a 1 place and you're not getting much or any suspension movement standing on it, I'd still try it with a ski loaded on it before making any more judgements. What's the GVWR for the axle listed as on the rating sticker?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information