Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MFD / trim fuse keeps blowing ...

My fuse for the MFD and trim keeps blowing within 2 - 5 minutes of changing any idea of what to look for to fix?

Banned User
    +1
    The trim should not be connected to a fuse.

well I bought this ski a few months back and every time the fuse that controls the MFD blows my trim also stops working, I fix the fuse and trim comes on for the short time it is alive.

The ski is a 1995 sl 750. Any idea how to fix it so trim works without MFD? That is my biggest need. I would love the MFD to work constantly but not having the trim is way more important.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectraBrite View Post
    well I bought this ski a few months back and every time the fuse that controls the MFD blows my trim also stops working, I fix the fuse and trim comes on for the short time it is alive.

The ski is a 1995 sl 750. Any idea how to fix it so trim works without MFD? That is my biggest need. I would love the MFD to work constantly but not having the trim is way more important.
    make sure the trim is hooked up to the Orange wires in the e-Box and not the red purple, if the fuse is blowing there is something wrong in the wiring, ORRR its pulling to much power as is a possiblity if the trim is hooked up to the wrong post in the E-box i would assume the power draw of the trim motor is much more then that of the MFD.

all the orange wires are hooked into orange rail, I went through the ebox today, yet the button on the handlebar to operate the trim is only alive when the MFD fuse is in and good.

looking at this image of the wiring it does look like the trim electrical goes through something called LR23 that then does go into a red/purple

can anyone help me to make some sense of this?

+1
    the LR 23 is a voltage regulator it sends power also to the Orange studs to power the trim and or bilge. This is about where my knowledge ends, but the people on here are VERY helpful.

+1
    The LR23 converts stator voltage into DC voltage to charge the battery via the red/purp wire and provide power to the orange wire while the motor is running (only). The trim switch applies voltage to the trim motor based on switch direction - either + - for one direction or - + for the other. The MFD is only connected to the trim motor in order to display trim position. In addition, the trim motor itself has a physical motor protection internally that allows it to "slip" when it gets to full up or full down position. This is via a spring loaded shaft and pin that rides in a disc. I wonder if the trim unit is clogged, dirty, partially siezed, etc. causing excess draw which is being backfed through the indicator wires? Could try disconnecting the trim motor from the MFD to find out. You would not be able to read trim position..... but this would indicate if it were a problem. Also, wouldnt hurt to remove the trim motor, take it apart (it is really quite simple inside), and make sure everything is greased and moving freely. That's all I got...........

my trim works perfectly when the MFD fuse is in and ski is running, so I think the trim motor itself is not the problem. The ebox is a mess and seems more messy than most pictures I can find online of others

+1
    May want to just disconnect everything, get new spade connectors on all the wires, and clean the whole thing up then... It really isn't that complex in there once you stop and think about it.......

A loose wire jiggling around, especially a red/purp, could easily bump the box, or a ground wire, or screw, or etc. and cause a short and blown fuse. I can get you a good clean picture of the circuit board if you need one.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information