Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Going Premix: More or less smoke?

The title says it: does going to premix (50-1 or 40-1) create more smoking or less in idle zones-ect? This is using the same oil. My 1390 is on the pump (oetiker clamps) and a bit extra as premix. I do get a bit of smoke after idling thru the channel, and wanted to ask if others who went the premix route noticed a difference, either way.

A concern I have about premix: My buddies XLT clogged an internal filter in #3 carb. He was thinking he had a fouled plug so he rode it back in and also tried to clean/change the plug then ride again, It would come and go like a fouled plug would do. Since he was oil injected, he still had plenty of oil going to the cyl and crank, and no damage was done to the ski. However, if he had been premix, he would have probably damaged something due to lack of lube. Anyone think the same?
    Last edited by LT1GMC; 10-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Wouldn't premix create more smoke since the oil is constant in the gas, as opposed to a variable rate given by the oil pump? As it is now there is only a little oil being burned at idle.

+1
    Yes going premix will will make it smoke more in idle zones because when going premix you are mixing tour fuel and oil for proper lubrication during wot therefore giving it an excess of oil at lower speeds. And I would go premix because there are far more horror stories when using the oil pump than with premix.

+1
    Well, on the earlier Yamaha's the oil was pumped way to much at idle. The newer ones have a throttle cable to help adjust to load, however at low speeds, with premix you are using less fuel, so you automatically use less oil, an automatic variable oil usage. Thats why I am asking to see what others have experienced when switching.

+1
    yes at idle you are using less fuel, but the fuel you are using is a higher ratio or oil to gas. both gp and gpr smoked more at idle. and when taking off from no wake zones.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post

My 1390 is on the pump (oetiker clamps) and a bit extra as premixe......

A concern I have about premix: ..... However, if he had been premix, he would have probably damaged something due to lack of lube. Anyone think the same?

Unless you are heavily modified and constantly putting a hugh load on your engine as in sanctioned racing, you should not have to use premix with the variable injection AND and premix. The stock system should work fine.... especially if you are running a high quality oil (Amzoil, Klotz, etc.)

Once you plug a filter and fuel becomes an issue, the engine will only run as well as the amount of fuel being delivered will allow. Look at it this way, when you loose fuel to 1 cylinder on a triple, you loose 33% of your power plus the synergy that goes along with the other two cylinders. ANYONE should know they have a problem. The air/fuel ratio has not changed (which could cause serious problems), just the amount of air and fuel.

Compareing apples to apples, the variable injection works better because it is designed to use less oil while at idle and lower speeds (when the load is less) as opposed to premixing which uses the same ratioof oil to gas regardless of speed or load. It is just that the safety aspect has compelled many to go premix.

IMHO if you want to be as safe as possible go premix. If you want to save on oil, stay with the oil injection and take the time to service your oil lines from time to time.

In either case use a high quality fully synthetic oil that produces low smoke.

+1
    Thank you Salty
    I am working on a XLL for my son and he was wanting to go premix since his Blaster is already and it would be simple to have both the same. We hand fuel with cans all our boats. My thought was I really do not like the smoking during the channel idle runs, so thats why the question if premix smokes more or less than the current injection setups. I use a good oil, Maxima Super M, and the comment about the plugged filter was a thought starter.

+1
    Hello
    If you do premix when you are going through speed zones you will smell the burned oil like no tomorrow. I like going premix because you dont have to worry about your engine getting locked up because of oil pump failure. Also you will need to shake your jetski side to side to get a good mix when your in the water.

+1
    I'm curious if 2 stroke oil will fall out of solution if it sits around to long. Anyone know?

+1
    40:1 will smoke more than 50:1. What clogged the filter on your friends carbs? If it was the oil there was something wrong with the oil. Might have been to old. Or he mixed 2 different oils and they reacted to each other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information