Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

buying an 08 250x smokin deal

Ok so i just put a down for this guy to hold a 2008 250x kawi. im not new to skis i have a gp1200, gp1200r, an rxp, and my family has an 08 stx15f and a 3d. i got this ski for a smokin deal, 5000 for the ski 106 hours, with a trailer, and a waveguard floting dock. im going to get it this week, anything i can check and look for when test riding this. i know about the gio issue, and bearing issues, but what are the main things to check over. it is a salt water ski so i will look for corrosion and water intrusion. just looking for some help guys.

+1
    Quebec Canada? parle francais?

If you could check the compression and check the boost (11 PSI ) while you ride it.
    Check the supercharger, it is well know to have issue if not fogged correctly... but will be hard to check without removing the belt and rotate it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Quebec Canada? parle francais?

If you could check the compression and check the boost (11 PSI ) while you ride it.
    Check the supercharger, it is well know to have issue if not fogged correctly... but will be hard to check without removing the belt and be able to rotate it.
    ya i speak frech very well, just not very good at writing it anymore. lol and ya im worried he hasnt fogged it properly throughout its use, without removing the belt is there any signs that would tell me this besides low boost?

+1
    I never owned a 250/260X and not 100% sure how to... better to wait for the guys in US/AUS to wake up.
    I only saw 250/260X not starting because the S/C was stuck.

But I do think if the S/C is starting to get stuck, the ski will have a hard time to crank.

I would take a good flashlight with you and check around the Super Charger area. Look for rust and corrosion in this area (Pulleys and Tensioner Wheel). If you see alot of corrosion / rust in this area you can stop here. I would walk away as this would be a good indicator that the boat overall was not cared for too well.

If it passes that test, there is a little pink nipple tube (about 3 inches) long directly under the air box (right before the super charger intake). If that nipple is full of ANY fluids, take it off and see what kind of fluid it is. Very easy to take the tube off; it is held on by a "finger squeeze clamp". If there is water in that tube you can assume that at least some water has been ingested by the SuperCharger. this is not a show stopper per se, but at this juncture I would ask him "how / when" has he fogged the SC"? No answer means there could be some maintenance issues with the SC in the not too distant future.

Talk off the Oil Filler cap, if you see any oil that looks "milky" I would walk away as this indicates there is water in the engine and likely parts have already started to rust.

I would ask him how many times he has had the oil changed. If he says 4 times or more, that's good. If he says twice or less . . . . not as good an answer.

Next, look at the oil level on the dipstick. Check Cold side of dip stick (it will say which side on the stick), 3 dips to get an accurate reading. If the oil appears to be a quart too high or more that means you probably have some oil that has been blown into the intercooler. Not a show stopper per se, but it means you or somebody else should get the intercooler cleaned out.

Look at bottom of hull. some scratches / dings ok. anything major may need further inquiry. And I am assuming this boat is "stock". For your case, it sounds to me, stock would be better.

My 2 cents . . . good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I would take a good flashlight with you and check around the Super Charger area. Look for rust and corrosion in this area (Pulleys and Tensioner Wheel). If you see alot of corrosion / rust in this area you can stop here. I would walk away as this would be a good indicator that the boat overall was not cared for too well.

If it passes that test, there is a little pink nipple tube (about 3 inches) long directly under the air box (right before the super charger intake). If that nipple is full of ANY fluids, take it off and see what kind of fluid it is. Very easy to take the tube off; it is held on by a "finger squeeze clamp". If there is water in that tube you can assume that at least some water has been ingested by the SuperCharger. this is not a show stopper per se, but at this juncture I would ask him "how / when" has he fogged the SC"? No answer means you are done looking at this boat and you should walk away. .

Talk off the Oil Filler cap, if you see any oil that looks "milky" you need to walk away as this indicates there is water in the engine and likely parts have already started to rust.

I would ask him how many times he has had the oil changed. If he says 4 times or more, that's good. If he says twice or less . . . . not as good an answer.

Next, look at the oil level on the dipstick. Check Cold side of dip stick (it will say which side on the stick), 3 dips to get an accurate reading. If the oil appears to be a quart too high or more that means you probably have some oil that has been blown into the intercooler. Not a show stopper per se, but it means you or somebody else should get the intercooler cleaned out.

Look at bottom of hull. some scratches / dings ok. anything major may need further inquiry. And I am assuming this boat is "stock". For your case, it sounds to me, stock would be better.

My 2 cents . . . good luck!
    Awesome info bro. I will definetly have a real hard look at everything. I'm no stranger to working on skis. I will probably tear into it this winter after I'm done beefing up internals on the rxp. Thanks again.

Banned User
    +1
    Just for reference there are brand new never used 07 250x for $7,000 so a brand new one can be had for cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Just for reference there are brand new never used 07 250x for $7,000 so a brand new one can be had for cheap.
    I haven't seen any new 07 for 7000. But even still the 07 did have a few more problems, and that's 7000 for just the ski plus taxes. And I'm from Canada so I cannot buy new in US. This way I'm getting an 08 with an 08 trailer, and a waveguard floating Dock for 5000. I still think its a pretty good deal even though new is nice. The cheapest 250 in Canada is an 07 with 130 hours for 7500. But thanks for the heads up.

Check crankshaft for end play or float and check/ask about jet pump bearings......I feel this is the most important items.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    who the hell has 5 year old ski's brand new never used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information