Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Unhappy 2001 GTi total loss of electrical after running fine for break in ...

Ok... so I am baffled by this one...

Did a total top end rebuild on my GTi, and had issues with 20-30% throttle (posted here)

So we took it out for the weekend and began breaking it in.... put about 6 hours on the rebuild, staying below 20% varying throttle, letting cool, repeat below 20%, letting cool, below 50% varying throttle, letting cool, etc. By the end of the day, it was running strong over 50% (but never full throttled it).... so... parked it on the trailer without any issues... (other than the 20% throttle post above)

Trailered it home about two hours away, but wasnt able to flush that evening. So, next day I went out to flush, and no response from DESS key. No beeps, and not even the reaction I used to get when partly placing the key on the post. Tested this DESS key from the GTi on my 2001 XP, and it reacts when close, (can hear MPEM kick in) and one long beep (indicating wrong key) when seated. So it's not the key itself.

Placing this XP Dess key or the GTi key close to the post, the gauges do not react. It's like the GTi has no power whatsover. Battery is good - near 13v. Checked all fuses on MPEM - all good, but replaced with new just to be sure. Checked fuse in rear electrical block as well, and all good. Checked main ground cables, and 0 resistance. Tested red leads from rear electrical to battery, and all fine. From what I am reading, you can't test 2001+ MPEMs with ohm meter. Is this correct?

Could the MPEM get smoked just by riding on the trailer? I did go over railroad tracks, but not a big bump. Or can the post itself cause there to be absolutely no reaction? Everything is telling the the unit has power, and that all grounds are good. But I wondered if there's a fuse or something I am missing? Or an electrical connection that could have come loose?

Any help is really appreciated... really baffled with this one.... I really thought I just about had this ski all fixed up.... and now this.... plus I haven't been able to flush the salt water out of this ski because i can't get it running...

ALSO: With the lanyard off the post, pushing the start button 5 times gives no result. (doesn't go into advanced mode like it should) This is another reason it seems that the MPEM is getting zero electricity..... I also tested continuity @ post, and with red on center and black on ring, I get 1700+ reading, just as I do on my XP. Also get .01 -.02 ohms resistance as well, as on my XP.
    Last edited by MacAddict; 10-23-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: ADDED Details about start button

+1
    MPEM's in your ski are VERY common to go bad

+1
    Check the terminals at the mpem and the condition of the large square connector.

Check the ground on the block. Mine became corroded on my gti did same thing.. Fixed it.. And 200 hours later i sold it with 165 per cylinder =D

Great ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtuned View Post
    Check the ground on the block. Mine became corroded on my gti did same thing.. Fixed it.. And 200 hours later i sold it with 165 per cylinder =D

Great ski!
    Yeah.... Totally Reid the ground connections and starter connections when I rebuilt the entire top end. Also took the starter off and covered in rustoleum...

mPEM and other terminals all look great. No corrosion at all... Have light nonconductive grease on them as well...... Just at a total loss still....been on it all day, and all connections good... Tested all ground wires. Tested post and same readings as my xp... Still nothing...

Just don't see how the mPEM could fry without the engine running or the lanyard being connected.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAddict View Post
    Yeah.... Totally Reid the ground connections and starter connections when I rebuilt the entire top end. Also took the starter off and covered in rustoleum...

mPEM and other terminals all look great. No corrosion at all... Have light nonconductive grease on them as well...... Just at a total loss still....been on it all day, and all connections good... Tested all ground wires. Tested post and same readings as my xp... Still nothing...

Just don't see how the mPEM could fry without the engine running or the lanyard being connected.

Just because you just redid it does not mean it hasint came apart or failed

+1
    Just because you just redid it does not mean it hasint came apart or failed
    This is true, but verified its torqued down, with non conductive grease and to bare metal. Also tested continuity from all parts of block, as well as other metal parts to negative battery post, and all full continuity with very little or no ohms of resistance...

Ouch, ok well i was hoping for the best! If you need a mpem i have a guy who parts out ski’s locally i can check for you

My xp has a main fuse in the electrical box which would give those probs if it blew. you find the fuse in something that looks like an electrical plug

Good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by southernflip View Post
    My xp has a main fuse in the electrical box which would give those probs if it blew. you find the fuse in something that looks like an electrical plug
    Yeah... Checked the 15a fuse in the electrical box in the back that jumps off the starter relay. All good visually, but replaced all fuses with fresh just to be sure. Unless you are saying there's another fuse in the light grey plug behind and to the right of the starter relay. ??? I unplugged that, but saw nothing that was fuse like... Connections looked good there...

Ouch, ok well i was hoping for the best! If you need a mpem i have a guy who parts out ski’s locally i can check for you
    Sorry Mtuned... Didn't mean to sound rude. Wasn't meant that way... I deeply appreciate your help in trying to solve this... And definitely appreciate you looking out for mPEM for me... See if he has anything for the 2001 720cc.... May end up having to go there, because I think I've just about exhausted my options...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information