Can I spray fogging oil directly into the flame arrestors?

and if not how do I fog inside the carbs or intake on my 97 SPX800? I got the whole fog the inside of the cylinders thing but have no idea how to get fogging oil into the intake - not familiar with 2 stroke or carbeurated engines at all, not sure where to spray it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crackofdawn View Post
    and if not how do I fog inside the carbs or intake on my 97 SPX800? I got the whole fog the inside of the cylinders thing but have no idea how to get fogging oil into the intake - not familiar with 2 stroke or carbeurated engines at all, not sure where to spray it
    If you have the stock air box remove the little rubber plug on lid and spray some fogging oil into it.

I don't even know if I have a stock air box or not - only had the ski 6 months and it had an engine replacement last year. I don't even see anything that looks like it could be an airbox, just 2 what look like K&N air filters but I hear they're flame arrestors (both are square shaped). My 95 polaris looks like it has an air box with an oval hole going in one side of it - assuming on that one I can just spray some fogging oil in that hole while it's running? Not sure what to do with the Seadoo though.

+1
    Just remove the the 2 filters and apply fog oil.

Got it - removed the nuts and pulled off the arrestors (at least I assume that is what they are) and sprayed the fogging oil in there - seemed fine.

i guess that means my XP hates me, I haven't fogged it since december

I put a little tranny fluid down the spark plug holes and give it a couple of turns with the plugs out and a rag over the holes. Worked on mine and my buddies boats for over 12 years. not a stuck crank or piston yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FAT BOY View Post
    I put a little tranny fluid down the spark plug holes and give it a couple of turns with the plugs out and a rag over the holes. Worked on mine and my buddies boats for over 12 years. not a stuck crank or piston yet.
    Tranny fluid ?? If your just putting it down the plug holes all you are doing is coating the cylinder walls and not the crank bearings which is the whole idea of fogging.If you send it down the carbys it will go through the bottom end and the top end so your are only doing half your engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Tranny fluid ?? If your just putting it down the plug holes all you are doing is coating the cylinder walls and not the crank bearings which is the whole idea of fogging.If you send it down the carbys it will go through the bottom end and the top end so your are only doing half your engine.
    I agree. The purpose of fogging oil is to coat the entire internals of the engine hence the design and operation of how a two stroke works, this is important. A two stroke's crankcase sees the oil/gas mixture in the crank area. the crankcase in a two stroke needs this fogging oil to attach to the crankcase internals. For a 4-stroke engine that has an (oil bath/reservoir) in a boat that may be sitting up for a long time, I can see the tranny fluid method.

I winterised my xp 951 by tipping a 50/50 petrol two stroke oil mix down each spark plug hole. Maybe half a cup full each.

Let it stand and turned it over with plugs out so it couldn't hygraulic. Let it stand so the mix would drip past the rings and get to the bottom end. Made it very runny so it would pass by the ring end gaps

Then put plugs in and fired her up for 10 seconds. Idea was to spray the mix around the bottom end. Then i put a wee bit more in the plugs and turned it over to lubricate the cylinders.

After the winter i had to split the crankcases (before running the ski on the water) due to another issue and i can safely say that this technique works real well. Before i split them i ran the motor for a couple of seconds just to make sure it would go before transplanting to another hull.

Smoked a lot but started alright.

Every bearing was dripping in oil. Really happy this technique works well

Thread Information