Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

GoPro Camera Owners LOOK!

I wanted to start this thread to talk about and get/give recommendations regarding the topic about making the gopro and the suction cup float.

I KNOW that GOPRO makes the Floaty Back door, but however it does not hold the weight of the suction cup. Only the camera it self

I found this on ebay, and was thinking about purchasing but I'm not sure if I need 1 or 2
    if any of you have tried something to make the whole suction cup and camera please post up your pics.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Foam-...ht_2082wt_1185

+1
    That would work, but it will flap around and make noise. Try two floaty's.

Banned User
    +1
    +1
    I have the suction cup mount, and found that two key chain floaties from West marine give the proper amount of buoyancy. just used some duct tape, tape them together somewhere around the back of the camera, good to go.
    those foam straps don't have enough buoyancy.
    whatever you get, make sure you test it in shallow water first!!

+1
    i need to get something for my contour as well, dont want to loose $250 worth of camera and mount........

+1
    I agree with H2HO. It will make way too much noise moving around. Asking for more issues than what it is worth. IMO! I added a simple camera strap and looped it under the hood. If the mount gives way, there was a chance for me to grab the camera. It's not much, but at least I wouldn't lose the camera...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2HO View Post
    That would work, but it will flap around and make noise. Try two floaty's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    I agree with H2HO. It will make way too much noise moving around. Asking for more issues than what it is worth. IMO! I added a simple camera strap and looped it under the hood. If the mount gives way, there was a chance for me to grab the camera. It's not much, but at least I wouldn't lose the camera...

I forgot to mention that, I know about the noise I plan on buying 2 of those orange floaties and WRAPPING them around the cup housing, so they dont flap and the leftover string I will tie it to the hinge on the gopro, just in case it was to break in 2 pieces, or you could say just add a back door floaty and 2 orange floatys. thats probably the best thing to do, if the camera was to break off.

+1
    Just saw the new GOPRO HERO2! Its only 199 at Best buy!!!!

+1
    Just thought I would add this per the GOPRO site regarding their suction cup mount.

Industrial strength suction cup for your quick-release HERO camera. This is the suction cup mount that comes with the Motorsports HERO and Motorsports HERO Wide cameras. Strong enough to pull dents out of a car door (unfortunately tested and proven by GoPro) or stay attached to an airplane at 200mph+, proven though not endorsed by GoPro per FAA rules.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Just thought I would add this per the GOPRO site regarding their suction cup mount.

Industrial strength suction cup for your quick-release HERO camera. This is the suction cup mount that comes with the Motorsports HERO and Motorsports HERO Wide cameras. Strong enough to pull dents out of a car door (unfortunately tested and proven by GoPro) or stay attached to an airplane at 200mph+, proven though not endorsed by GoPro per FAA rules.
    I wouldnt trust my gopro on that, I have seen when water comes up front of my ski and twists the whole deal over, I bet that hitting a wave at at least 30 mph will knock it down or break it. I have come close to situations like that.

I keep my gopro on the front side of the ski.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2HO View Post
    Just saw the new GOPRO HERO2! Its only 199 at Best buy!!!!
    960P/48!!!! And, 127? degree or 170 degree at 1080P.....get sum!!!!
    also, the remote capabilities are extremely intriguing. How bout live, user selectable, webcasts of racers onboard camera's??? My wheels are already turning.
    this technology was possible, at the World Finals. But very cost prohibitive. maybe 2012??!!!\

the only time i've ever had the suction cup mount come off, was when Nicholas Rius had it mounted on his Hydrospace, and he clipped a buoy, with the camera. it came off the boat, and he rode back and picked it up.....glad I had those floaties on.

had one break off the nose of a yamaha vxr at the mark hahn 300 race. rider stuffed it in the 3+ foot wave, and it snapped off at the mount. but, that was the clip in mount, not the suction cup. and, no floaties on it.
    I use a leash and the floaties when i'm making my onboard video's of new boats I get to ride. just depends on where you mount the camera.

just go to West Marine, buy two of the rubber white key chain floaties, and you're done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information