Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

waveraiders any good?

are the 94 waveraider 700's a decent machine? trustworthy? long lasting if taken care of? I was originally thinking of a blaster because i love the way they look, but unfortunately its not a family machine, and i kind of like the look of the raiders, but looking for some people that have experience. My local watersports shop says yamaha is the way to go with PWCs, so any specific help would be great. (looking for cheap, reliable, and not fugly like the 500's )

I personally have a 96 waveblaster and a wB2 i still have yet to ride the 2 but for the size and reliability they are better then the gp/xlt.

Now i must admit that riding the bigger 1200's is nice because of the stability and speed i still love to have some fun on the older machines.

id get it and go from top to bottom inside and out and pay attention to all fuel, oil lines and perform all maintenance and care then have fun ridin!

+1
    It was voted "water craft of the Year" in 1994.

Upside:
    Very stable ride even for a two up ride, provided you are within its weight limits.
    80 hp 701 62T engine was bullet proof.
    Went on plane fairly quickly
    Lots of 62T parts out there so it should be easy to work on.
    It is a "cruiser" boat, not a race model like the GP or GPR.
    Much easier on the gas vs the GP and GPR. It has 2 cylinders with twin 38 carbs vs the tripple 44's on GP and GPR's.
    Starts easily.

Downside:
    It is a "wet" ride..... water comes over the bow easily and gets into your face, especially on windy days.

Does not turn well at high speeds. Because of the long strakes underneath, this hull was cut for straight line runs. If you try to turn to hard, you will very likely get ejected.
    The foot wells are deep which means that you can break an ankle when you get ejected.
    Top speed: approx 53-54mph

It is a very good boat or a very bad one depending on what and how you plan on using it.

Read reviews on it.

I still have my original 95 Raider Deluxe.
    I had to rebuild the engine due to a base gasket blowout. Up to that point it ran awesome and now after the rebuild it still runs awesome.
    Like mentioned before it isnt a racer like the later models, it's a cruiser. I replace the nozzle, rideplate and Sponsons with Riva brands.
    I really dont have a reason to ever sell it. It's awesome.

Tman

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tman701 View Post
    I still have my original 95 Raider Deluxe........
    This is the very same engine and hull as the 94 with a different color scheme and a little bit bigger gas tank

+1
    The 94 Raider is a preferred choice due to the fact that purple bottom Raiders are fiberglass and not SMC so they are a fair amount lighter. I had a new one, that I modified in 95 to keep up with the new 1100 Raiders. My boat with a Group K hammer kit, Coffman pipe, and Skat-Trak impeller would touch 60mph on gps. But they are a wet ride, and ride hard in rough water also. They are well built, and not much to go wrong with them. !st mod: convert to premix!! They used way too much oil as injected. Less smoke, no more fouled plugs, use less oil. I did the math and when my raider was injected it used oil at close to a 25-1 ratio. I used a gallon of oil for every 25 gallons of gas.

it was mentioned above to change rideplates and sponsons. Are the aftermarket ones made differently to make it a better ride?

and where did you find aftermarket sponsons for the waveraider, i've looked all over the web and can't find any, only for the newer and/or bigger models, thanks!

also, what would/should a 94 waveraider, in cosmetically good condition, running (possibly low hours), with a good karavan trailer be worth, hypothetically (or should i look to/expect to pay)? how much is too much for this boat?

thats a lot of oil! that's the first time i've ever heard a premix ski use less that an injected one

+1
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    It was voted "water craft of the Year" in 1994.

Upside:
    Very stable ride even for a two up ride, provided you are within its weight limits.
    80 hp 701 62T engine was bullet proof.
    Went on plane fairly quickly
    Lots of 62T parts out there so it should be easy to work on.
    Much easier on the gas vs the GP and GPR. It has 2 cylinders with twin 38 carbs vs the tripple 44's on GP and GPR's.
    Starts easily.

Downside:
    It is a "wet" ride..... water comes over the bow easily and gets into your face, especially on windy days.

Does not turn well at high speeds. Because of the long strakes underneath, this hull was cut for straight line runs. If you try to turn to hard, you will very likely get ejected.
    The foot wells are deep which means that you can break an ankle when you get ejected.
    Top speed: approx 53-54mph

It is a very good boat or a very bad one depending on what and how you plan on using it.

Read reviews on it.
    I remember when you got yours Dave, that was cutting edge back then and gave the ole X4 hulls a run for their money. I remember that ride around Galveston with BAPWA and we hit it for a long run in west bay, your raider 1100 walked away from the rest of us riding our XP's, good times.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information