+1

Fall Visit to Orange Beach

The wife & I visited some friends at their new condo this past weekend. Terrific fall weather and I should have brought the skis. Instead, the wives did some shopping while my buddy & I did some beer tasting at the local marinas. Here's a few pix from the the weekend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160559.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	257251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160650.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	257243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160561.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	257245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160643.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	257249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160595.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	257246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160577.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	257247  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160581.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	257250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160611.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	257244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160624.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	257248  

+1
    Nice. I like the second shot with the atoll. Are the jelly fish dangerous?

+1
    Looks like a good time. Bill, you have all the fun...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kecheme View Post
    Nice. I like the second shot with the atoll. Are the jelly fish dangerous?
    Thanks. Jellyfish: Yes and no. My friend, holding a big one, said those with the "clover" pattern on top do not sting. However, the pic. of the other one with the "ring pattern" was smaller and had a lot of long tentacles underneath. We wouldn't touch that one. (See pix below). Perhaps the local GH marine biologists can come on here and ID these fellows...

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Looks like a good time. Bill, you have all the fun...
    Yeah, right... it's my wife that has all the fun - when she's w/me. Look forward to seeing you guys next year... (PS: Don't tell my wife I said that.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160586.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	257303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160582.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	257304  

+1
    Those things are EVERYWHERE out here. We are passing through miles of these guys as far out and down as we can see.
    I don't know their real names but the ones with the rings we call 4 eyes and correct they don't sting but these with the non distinct marks... Yep you will feel a burning sinsation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Those things are EVERYWHERE out here. We are passing through miles of these guys as far out and down as we can see.
    I don't know their real names but the ones with the rings we call 4 eyes and correct they don't sting but these with the non distinct marks... Yep you will feel a burning sinsation.
    The ones with the 'clover' patter are called Moon Jellyfish. They can sting, but mostly it is benign to us. You can notice a small sensation, itching, or slight burning. More of an aggravation than anything. Mostly the nematocyst's don't affect the human skin, but can in some cases. The one that your friend is holding looks to be a 'Sea Nettle' Jellyfish. The one with the lines looks to be a Cannonball Jellyfish also not known for it's sting. Not to sound like a smart ass or a know-it-all fellas. It's amazing what sticks with you through undergrad and graduate school. Those Intro to Marine Biology courses I guess you could say, I got my monies worth. Thanks LSU!

+1
    So are those your boats Bill? Wow! You're a baller!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    The ones with the 'clover' patter are called Moon Jellyfish. They can sting, but mostly it is benign to us. You can notice a small sensation, itching, or slight burning. More of an aggravation than anything. Mostly the nematocyst's don't affect the human skin, but can in some cases. The one that your friend is holding looks to be a 'Sea Nettle' Jellyfish. The one with the lines looks to be a Cannonball Jellyfish also not known for it's sting. Not to sound like a smart ass or a know-it-all fellas. It's amazing what sticks with you through undergrad and graduate school. Those Intro to Marine Biology courses I guess you could say, I got my monies worth. Thanks LSU!
    The one my friend is holding is one of the "clover" patterned j-fish. It was 99% of what was washed up or about to be washed up on shore. Fairly massive invasion - must be if 'Sportsmn is seeing them that far from land.

No, no boat for me. Maybe one day, but that really isn't my thing. Well, not boats of that magnitude anyway. My wife and I were actually condo shopping... it's amazing how much cheaper a vacation place can be than those yachts. About 50% of what we saw was for sale; most by the owners but some were bank foreclosures.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    The one my friend is holding is one of the "clover" patterned j-fish. It was 99% of what was washed up or about to be washed up on shore. Fairly massive invasion - must be if 'Sportsmn is seeing them that far from land.

No, no boat for me. Maybe one day, but that really isn't my thing. Well, not boats of that magnitude anyway. My wife and I were actually condo shopping... it's amazing how much cheaper a vacation place can be than those yachts. About 50% of what we saw was for sale; most by the owners but some were bank foreclosures.
    The wife wants to go look this winter too. Not looking forward to it. Trying to hold off so hopefully she forgets about it. Not likely though.

Thread Information