Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Do you guys change oil before winterizing?

As the title says, do you guys change your oil before winterizing, or in the spring before riding? And also, has anybody ran antifreeze through before? I made a funnel attachment for the flusher, and was going to feed in antifreeze while the engine was running, in hopes that it will draw it into the exhaust system. Because there is no way to drain all the water unless you pull the exhaust right?

Edit: 2011 FZS

Yes , I change the oil before storage. Keep in mine that you'll not get all the old oil out bet itks better than just letting sit.

I've never antifreezed my ski in that there simply isn't enough water left in the block or exhaust to cause any problem should there be a freeze. Its like an outboard in that respect.

+1
    Yeah I suppose your right. Im not sure it would work either way, because im not sure it would draw the antifreeze though the flush attachment, I think it would need to be pressurized....

Here's another question, on watercraft I usually just spray the fogging oil into the cylinders and bump the starter a few times. But the intake is easy to get to on the SHO's... should I just spray it directly into the supercharger intake? Then it will cover the valves too.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    Yeah I suppose your right. Im not sure it would work either way, because im not sure it would draw the antifreeze though the flush attachment, I think it would need to be pressurized....

Here's another question, on watercraft I usually just spray the fogging oil into the cylinders and bump the starter a few times. But the intake is easy to get to on the SHO's... should I just spray it directly into the supercharger intake? Then it will cover the valves too.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    According to the service manual and Jerry via PM, spray the fogging oil through the breather hose for 5 seconds. Engine speed will drop and will cut out right at 5 seconds. However, I dont see any harm in spraying it directly into the cylinders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    According to the service manual and Jerry via PM, spray the fogging oil through the breather hose for 5 seconds. Engine speed will drop and will cut out right at 5 seconds. However, I dont see any harm in spraying it directly into the cylinders.
    +1.

I don't change oil at end of season. I change it at the beginning. And I fog through the intake until the engine stalls, and then remove the plugs and give each cylinder about a 2 second squirt. Never have done antifreeze and never had an issue.

Combustion byproducts produce acid. That is why motor oils have NaOH in them to act as a buffer. These acids are not usually a problem as long as the oil is changed regularly and the engine is in use. But its a good idea to change the oil prior to long storage (as a part of winterization), otherwise you leave this acidic solution sitting in your engine. Its not a big deal, but your bearing surfaces are being etched slowly unless you change out the motor oil prior to storage.

+1
    It seems to be unanimous that anti-freezing is not necessary, but it is something i stress out about if i don't do it. I would hate to go to ride in the spring and have a problem because i didn't. In order to pressurize the anti-freeze feed to the cooling system i put a bilge pump into a 5 gallon bucket filled with anti-freeze, and made some adaptors to hook up to the flushing port. It may not be necessary, but it leaves me with a peace of mind.

I always change my oil at the end of the season for the reasons Ernest pointed out.

+1
    You guys realize there is a much easier solution to antifreezing? just use a salt-away adapter on a hose. 20$ done. No need for a bilge pump in a 5gal bucket.

Hi guys i checked over on the riva forum and they recomend using the salt away adapter, i also plan on attaching my compressor at 30 psi and blow out any remaining water mix after running for 10 or 15 seconds. I ordered a bottle of yamacool to be put into that salt away cup.

Posted October 22, 2011 08:26 AM
    I live in the northeast, question wiNterizing my fzr 2011, I have the salt away adapter, so that little cup gets filled with antifreeze, DO I FINISH THE CUP?

ISNT WHATS COMING OUT OF THE CUP DILUTED WITH WATER, IS THAT OK?

RIVA CREW
    Administrator
    Posted October 23, 2011 10:19 AM Hide Post
    Yes, fill the Salt-Away dispenser with anti-freeze, but do not flush until solution in dispenser cup turns clear. Make sure you use anti-freeze that is aluminum friendly!

Yes, there will be some water left after winterizing. It will be minimal and there will be anti-freeze left as well. Again, do not allow the solution in the cup to dilute completely.

Keep in mind that your craft is expelling anti-freeze during the winterizing process. Care must be taken so as not to contaminate the environment and possibly poison pets or yourself!

RIVA CREW
    Please post and ride responsibly!!!

Posts: 5570 | Location: Pompano Beach, FL - USA | Registered: August 28, 2003

absolutely change the oil before letting the ski sit for up to 6 months. Don't want all the by products of combustion sitting in there all winter. As for anti-freeze, I wouldn't feel comfortable without it... After running the ski on the hose to get it nice and hot and after changing the oil, I blow the ski out several times and then run pink RV antifreeze through the system. On the FZ i just use a funnel and piece of garden hose and let gravity do the rest, then blow the ski out several times again, then fog on the last blow out for 5-10 seconds. Really anal people can then remove the plugs and spray some more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information