Thread: Back To Life

Poquoson Virginia

Back To Life

A couple of months ago my wife and I were out cruising on my rigged Yamaha SUV when it suddenly cut off. It started right back up but was running rough. We went back to the boat ramp, loaded it up and took it home. I checked the compression on each cylinder and found only 30 psi on one, the other two were 120 psi like it should be.
    My Yamaha SUV has a 1200cc 135 hp 2 stroke engine, I have been debating converting it to a 4 stroke. This would involve buying a used jet ski and taking both skis to make one. I have not been able to find a good deal on a used or damaged jet ski model that I wanted, a Yamaha FXHO would have worked well. So I decided to have the engine rebuilt instead.
    In the past I had used a company called SBT for a re-manufactured engine. This involves removing the engine and shipping it to them. They, in return, ship you back a rebuilt engine. This was not timely, and even though they offer a 1 and 2 year warranty if there is a problem you still have to pay for shipping and they will not pay any labor.
    So this time I used Screamin Motorsports in West Point Virginia. Roy said he has done several rebuilds and gave me a great price which included rebuilding the carburetors and installing a water cut off valve for safe on the water towing.
    The engine was totally broke down and machine and bored .5mm over. All new pistons, bearings, rings ect. It was then reassembled. I dropped it off and and picked it up the same day when he reinstalled the engine.
    Every thing was done on time and for slightly less than he quoted me, the total bill was $1545.00
    I cant wait to get this ski back on the water and get after some nice Striped Bass.
    Thanks Roy and Travis of Screamin Motorsports!

St. Amant, LA
    Welcome back to the world, Brian. BTW (all after the fact now) this forum does have a few conversion threads were some members have dropped a used 4-stroke into the SUV. Maybe just food for thought should you ever face this issue again - and I hope you don't.

Thread Information