WTF? Impeller/wear ring question '97 SPX 787

A friend's son asked me if I wanted a free Seadoo. Hell yeah! He brought it over and from what I could tell. it looked to be in pretty good shape other than being sun faded and dusty. His girlfriend says it sat on a trailer for three years in their yard after it "suddenly wouldn't go fast anymore" After doing some digging, I found out it had spent it's entire life here on Lake Weir, Florida. I'm new to skis, but have extensive experience with high performance two strokes (MX, ATVs etc.) I've been wanting to pick-up a PWC like this for a while to graft into an airboat hull that I had previously converted to outboard power. What can I say, I love to tinker with my toys...
    Like I said, I'm new to skis but one thing I found that might be part of the problem was the impeller/wear ring clearance. Min clearance I could find anywhere along the impeller edge was 3.42mm. ID of the housing measures at roughly 145.66mm. I'm not sure there's even a wear ring left in the damn thing. Not sure of the diameter of the impeller yet. Can you guys tell from this picture if you think the housing is salvageable or should I just find a used set-up here somewhere? TIA

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    that white part is part of the wear ring, it was once covered by soft black plastic, its dry rotted causing the black plastic to fall out. the housing is in good condition just remove the old wearing.
    Search the forum and there you will find hundreds of post on how to remove the plastic wear ring.

Thanx for the fast reply UltraMax. That's great that I should be able to salvage the housing! I have the hull stripped and I'm laying out which section to graft into the flat bottom of the airboat hull. Hoping to have the conversion done in time for this winters redfish season.

Well, the SPX/airboat hull project is dead in the water. About the time I got the seadoo hull cut up, my job got outsourced. Selling everything if anyone's interested, hit me up here or @ impalerneff at gmail dot com

complete engine-drivetrain
    good '97' SPX 787 MPEM
    other assorted parts
    no hull, but have all hull#

'97 SPX parts

Quote Originally Posted by scimitarian View Post
    Well, the SPX/airboat hull project is dead in the water. About the time I got the seadoo hull cut up, my job got outsourced. Selling everything if anyone's interested, hit me up here or @ impalerneff at gmail dot com

complete engine-drivetrain
    good '97' SPX 787 MPEM
    other assorted parts
    no hull, but have all hull#

Selling the whole nine yards for $500 OBO. neofab at cox.net

+1
    Pm sent

Thread Information