Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tierra Verde, Florida, United States
    Posts
    911
    +1
    17

    getting Saltwater in my 4tec cylinders?

    I have a 06 Speedster with a 215hp SC motor. I had it out today seemed to be running fine. I stopped and shut it off for maybe 10min. When I went to restart it it would not fire so I pulled a plug and it was wet (saltwater). I got it home and got it started. I pulled the inter cooler thinking it would have a leak and there is none. Where would it be coming in from? Thanks


  2. #2
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    1,347
    +1
    2
    Do a compression check or leak down test. Could be a head gasket leaking?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tierra Verde, Florida, United States
    Posts
    911
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Do a compression check or leak down test. Could be a head gasket leaking?
    It's a closed loop system? Saltwater would never make it to the head? I'm I wrong?

  4. #4
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    1,347
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    It's a closed loop system? Saltwater would never make it to the head? I'm I wrong?
    Just because he said saltwater, spent mean that it was correct. I am making the assumption that the plug is "wet". Otherwise, I agree... No salt can enter the motor with a closed loop system.

  5. #5
    Sturm215's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lakeland florida
    Posts
    1,893
    +1
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Just because he said saltwater, spent mean that it was correct. I am making the assumption that the plug is "wet". Otherwise, I agree... No salt can enter the motor with a closed loop system.
    whatttt

  6. #6
    dnielsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,018
    +1
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    I have a 06 Speedster with a 215hp SC motor. I had it out today seemed to be running fine. I stopped and shut it off for maybe 10min. When I went to restart it it would not fire so I pulled a plug and it was wet (saltwater). I got it home and got it started. I pulled the inter cooler thinking it would have a leak and there is none. Where would it be coming in from? Thanks
    Had something simular happen to me recently with open loop cooling. Pulled the head, checked gasket (looked good), head (was flat), and the block (was flat also). Pressure checked both the exaust manifold and the IC for leaks (none found). Figured it must have been a result of not fireing the engine after trailering, water could have spilled over the J-pipe (or actually over the bend on my Riva box). Reassembled everything with no repeat of the water in cylinder. I happened to catch this while inspecting the plugs before going out on the water. Cylinders #2 and #3 had water while #1 was dry. While on the trailer the ski sit slightly lower in the front than the rear. I figured the exaust valves were open on those two cylinders. Anyway this just food for thought, hope you find the problem.

  7. #7
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    If you have stock cooling, you really only have two possibilities for salt water ... your intercooler IS leaking under full throttle pressure, OR you somehow sucked up water into your SC intake.

  8. #8
    JPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Down under
    Posts
    934
    +1
    53
    leaking exhaust manifold ?

  9. #9
    HardmanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rutherfordton, NC
    Posts
    459
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you have stock cooling, you really only have two possibilities for salt water ... your intercooler IS leaking under full throttle pressure, OR you somehow sucked up water into your SC intake.
    +1

    when you pulled the intercooler did you pressure test it?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tierra Verde, Florida, United States
    Posts
    911
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you have stock cooling, you really only have two possibilities for salt water ... your intercooler IS leaking under full throttle pressure, OR you somehow sucked up water into your SC intake.
    No way did it suck up water in the SC intake (dry and the intake is about 2 feet up). I really need to do a better test on the IC. I don't really have a way to pressure test it with air so I hooked up a garden hose and claps and didn't see any leaks.
    The funning thing is when I pulled the first plug the cylinder had lots of water. The second plug was dry but the longer it when all three got lots of water in them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. getting water in my 2012 Yamaha VXR
    By scoobydoo in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  2. Help with Getting my Piston & Cylinder Back In....
    By PERCMAN25 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM
  4. Keep Getting Water In Cylinders
    By ezrider060 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 12:21 AM
  5. Fastest ski's in the Nation getting together in my home town
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •