Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

getting Saltwater in my 4tec cylinders?

I have a 06 Speedster with a 215hp SC motor. I had it out today seemed to be running fine. I stopped and shut it off for maybe 10min. When I went to restart it it would not fire so I pulled a plug and it was wet (saltwater). I got it home and got it started. I pulled the inter cooler thinking it would have a leak and there is none. Where would it be coming in from? Thanks

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Do a compression check or leak down test. Could be a head gasket leaking?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Do a compression check or leak down test. Could be a head gasket leaking?
    It's a closed loop system? Saltwater would never make it to the head? I'm I wrong?

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    It's a closed loop system? Saltwater would never make it to the head? I'm I wrong?
    Just because he said saltwater, spent mean that it was correct. I am making the assumption that the plug is "wet". Otherwise, I agree... No salt can enter the motor with a closed loop system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Just because he said saltwater, spent mean that it was correct. I am making the assumption that the plug is "wet". Otherwise, I agree... No salt can enter the motor with a closed loop system.
    whatttt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    I have a 06 Speedster with a 215hp SC motor. I had it out today seemed to be running fine. I stopped and shut it off for maybe 10min. When I went to restart it it would not fire so I pulled a plug and it was wet (saltwater). I got it home and got it started. I pulled the inter cooler thinking it would have a leak and there is none. Where would it be coming in from? Thanks
    Had something simular happen to me recently with open loop cooling. Pulled the head, checked gasket (looked good), head (was flat), and the block (was flat also). Pressure checked both the exaust manifold and the IC for leaks (none found). Figured it must have been a result of not fireing the engine after trailering, water could have spilled over the J-pipe (or actually over the bend on my Riva box). Reassembled everything with no repeat of the water in cylinder. I happened to catch this while inspecting the plugs before going out on the water. Cylinders #2 and #3 had water while #1 was dry. While on the trailer the ski sit slightly lower in the front than the rear. I figured the exaust valves were open on those two cylinders. Anyway this just food for thought, hope you find the problem.

+1
    If you have stock cooling, you really only have two possibilities for salt water ... your intercooler IS leaking under full throttle pressure, OR you somehow sucked up water into your SC intake.

+1
    leaking exhaust manifold ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you have stock cooling, you really only have two possibilities for salt water ... your intercooler IS leaking under full throttle pressure, OR you somehow sucked up water into your SC intake.
    +1

when you pulled the intercooler did you pressure test it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    No way did it suck up water in the SC intake (dry and the intake is about 2 feet up). I really need to do a better test on the IC. I don't really have a way to pressure test it with air so I hooked up a garden hose and claps and didn't see any leaks.
    The funning thing is when I pulled the first plug the cylinder had lots of water. The second plug was dry but the longer it when all three got lots of water in them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information