Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gelcoat

+1

gelcoat

well i have experience and had some time repaing scratches and a crack (including reinforceing the area )
    but i was wondering how do you guys apply it?

i usually apply it with a brush, and it leaves likes "lines" that i have to sand down after, so i was thinking, maybe to use a compressor and a paint gun?

so my questions are, can i use a paintgun, then how do i clean it so the gelcoat doesnt harden inside of it.
    and how do you guys polish the area after? because on one part it came out as "non shiny" and i used a car wax but it still was aparent
    so what o you guys use to buff ? and what sandpapaer?

im planing on painting my rxp during the winter (customize abit no?)
    and was wondering what would you guys suggest , its a 06 or 07 red rxp , im planning on, custom paintjob and hydro turf mats (maybe some nice decals too)

so yea, thanks for any help in advance, but as seadoo season is over.... time to roll out the winter toys.

+1
    old thread, i know..... but still bump.....
    i want to know what you guys do, perhaps give out tips to people like me and others interested .......

+1
    after applying gel coat put a clear hard plastic flat flexible piece over it and tape it down. It will be a flatter and easier to sand. After it drys it peels off nicely. But some times it doesn't. The plastic battery container is what I used. But I just had a chip. Sorry I don't have any photos. Good luck.

+1
    i also use that mathod. but it doesnt show up shony... turns out to be dull ...
    and for verry shallow scratches it doesnt work well. thanks for the reply though.

+1
    Supposed to use wax paper and a squeege to get it smooth. Then peel off when dry, and sand flush, then
    Wet sand with 600 grit, and buff to a shine after that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Supposed to use wax paper and a squeege to get it smooth. Then peel off when dry, and sand flush, then
    Wet sand with 600 grit, and buff to a shine after that.
    Won't be able to get 600 wetsand scratches out by buffing it it will shine it up a bit but you'll still see the scratches from the sandpaper... .. maybe start with 600 grit to cut it then move to 1200 or 1500.. the higher the better and easier to buff out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    i also use that mathod. but it doesnt show up shony... turns out to be dull ...
    and for verry shallow scratches it doesnt work well. thanks for the reply though.
    Yes if you look hard. you can still see it. The deal ship uses to sell the colors to put into the gel coat that match pretty good on the older skis. But I not sure if they do that any more. API paint store can give the right # for the paint to match. But painting is a last resort to me. Sorry I dint help and good luck

+1
    its fine.....

i usually use 800? then 2000...... whats a good buffer and how do you guys apply it?ex: machine or by hand...

another thing, any one tried the HVLP spray guns? if so what do you guys mix in with the gelcoat......

and dont care about color.... 99.5% of the scratches are either on my 95 gtx white gelcoat. or black on my 2006 rxp.......

so wax paper or plastic? pros and cons of each?

+1
    I have never use wax's paper. But it sound like a good idea. It might let more air in for the gel coat to dry too.

Gel coat needs to be protected from air to dry properly. (will be gummy if exposed to air)

There are three ways to protect it from air so that it dries properly:

1. Covering with a membrane (saran wrap or wax paper) This is the least preferred method.

2. Spraying with PVA after application This is the second least preferred method

3. Applying with dissolved mold release wax in the mix. This is the preferred method.

If you buy your quart mix from GelCote Intl, it already comes with wax dissolved in the mix. You can apply directly without fussing with overcoating.

Spraying gel coat is a bitch. It sets up fast and is heavy, so the best choice is to either use a cheap primer/polyester spray gun or use a preval throw away gun. You will fuck up a good gun, mark my words.

If you are trying to fix deep scratches, forget spraying until you fill the deep scratches first. I use a mix of gel coat and Cabosil (thickener) to make a paste and squeegee it into the deep scratches. It can take several passes to build it up level. You can use a rough paper for these steps (I use 220) for leveling. Once everything is level, then you can spray a few coats of gel coat and wet sand it. I start with a light hit of 320, then 400, then 600, then 1000, then 1500. Then buff with rubbing compound, followed by polish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information