Heat Fade v Riva Rear Intake

with the riva rear intake r u still going to need the rr thermostate 2 advoid heat faid, i would loose about 50 rpm after a few runs pull the seat off and the rpm would come back, i always thought the heat fade was do 2 the wamer air going 2 the engine through the air intake slowing me down not the actual temperature of the engine slowing the engine down it self, with the riva rear intake no matter how warme the engine gets (with in reason) ur still going 2 get cool air 2 the engine, just like taking off the seat, so r u still going 2 need the rr thermostate, r u still going 2 loose any rpm's after the engine warms up ? do 2 heat soak

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    with the riva rear intake r u still going to need the rr thermostate 2 advoid heat faid, i would loose about 50 rpm after a few runs pull the seat off and the rpm would come back, i always thought the heat fade was do 2 the wamer air going 2 the engine through the air intake slowing me down not the actual temperature of the engine slowing the engine down it self, with the riva rear intake no matter how warme the engine gets (with in reason) ur still going 2 get cool air 2 the engine, just like taking off the seat, so r u still going 2 need the rr thermostate, r u still going 2 loose any rpm's after the engine warms up ? do 2 heat soak
    With the Riva Rear 100% of your air comes from the outside of your hull. I'm not real versed on heat soak but I do remember being told that this intake cures the heat faid problem. I would think if your running the Stage III kit or the B kit or the soon to come Rude charger you must run the 158 degree thermostat to control the higher temps.
    Last edited by Alex13; 01-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    With the Riva Rear 100% of your air comes from the outside of your hull. I'm not real versed on heat soak but I do remember being told that this intake cures the heat faid problem. I would think if your running the Stage III kit or the B kit or the soon to come Rude charger you must run the 158 degree thermostat to control the higher temps.
    heat soak-i think its once the eigine is completely warmed up
    i thought the riva rear should've gotton rid of the heat fade completely, i'll be running a s3 s/c with rr stock class ecu so with that u say i must run the rr thermostate (158 degree) will the engine run wamer or hot without it

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    heat soak-i think its once the eigine is completely warmed up
    i thought the riva rear should've gotton rid of the heat fade completely, i'll be running a s3 s/c with rr stock class ecu so with that u say i must run the rr thermostate (158 degree) will the engine run wamer or hot without it
    Exactly

+1
    The rr/riva thermostats are 158 degree thermostats(30 degrees cooler than the factory thermos)....I run a RR one (on my relatively stock engine)and there's a noticeable difference,definetely less heat fade.....

+1
    I agree, even with a rear air intake the 158 degree thermo makes a difference.

i was wondering if anyone ever tested the riva rear intake with and without the rr thermostate i thought the stock thermostate was around 180 the rr was 158 degrees i know the engine will run about 20 or so degrees wamer i guess the question is what is the best engine temperature or most efficient will it run or faster at 180 or 158 degrees now that we no longer haft 2 worry about heat fade with the riva rear intake

if the rr thermostate is the faster one then thats the route i'll take but i like 2 see some facts on testing before i spend a couple of hundered that could be spent some where else

+1
    Don't expect increased performance from the thermostat. That's not going to happen. What you can expect is no REDUCED performance in the hot summer months.

The stock thermostat is a 188 degree unit. The Rotax Racing part is 158 degrees. Your engine running 30 degrees cooler also keeps the oil temperature down which prevents oil viscosity breakdown and also extends your oil life. It’s not a cheap little part, but definately one worth installing on your ski.

ok thanks

Thread Information