Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mossback' s broken gp1200 official thread.

Thought I'd best just start my own thread for tear down and rebuild.

Here is the latest pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1319843319353.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	257482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1319843367739.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	257483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1319843379447.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	257484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1319843405425.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	257485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1319843419419.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	257486  

Bump

Anyone want to chime in? I am pretty sure this a get a new one after 468 hrs. it had a good run and is not truly worth doing anything to. the cost of a crank is about 600 and new cylinder and pistons 450 and cost of a long block 1200.

+1
    So the crank went bad and took out the cylinder and piston? what about the cases or head?

No the crank is still fine the only possibly thing had to have been during a Hydrolock condition.

Head looks ok the front two are chocolate brown and third is shiny almost like sand blasted.

I had sunk this ski 8 times till I finally pulled all the exhaust apart and found the clogged sand. I had thought it was the cat overheating and melting the exhaust when it was in fact clogged.

And i pulled the plugs after each sinking and ran the water out of it.

So after I fixed that I ran it again and was a screaming SOB on the hose but would hardly run in the water.

Compression checked and had 80, 80 55 and so i pulled the head and the piston was ate up.

I am not 100% sure but my thinking is that the pressure from the water broke the skirt and sucked around the bottom and ran through the top.

I am wanting to be able to fix it but my thoughts are leaning towards a reman as it may be as expensive as rebuilding this one.

But I am competent and willing to do anything needed to ride this ski by April and if I can get pointed in the right direction I will rebuild it. giving that it is cost effective.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    I have a gp 1200 r , im not sure the exact differences but my compression is supposed to be 120 on all three. Sounds to me that the other cylinders maybe damaged as well. That cylinder pic u posted is done. From what ive read around here your lucky to get the hours youve gotten on that motor. Where did u find that piece of the cylinder? Down in the crank?

Quote Originally Posted by pierowman View Post
    I have a gp 1200 r , im not sure the exact differences but my compression is supposed to be 120 on all three. Sounds to me that the other cylinders maybe damaged as well. That cylinder pic u posted is done. From what ive read around here your lucky to get the hours youve gotten on that motor. Where did u find that piece of the cylinder? Down in the crank?
    It stayed in place I heard it fall when I pulled up on the jug.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    WOW. That is really lucky. Check the oil lines just to be sure that they are still connected to the carbs. If you want to rebuild this motor a few pointers. One is if it hasnt been done rebuild the carbs. While your in there you can check the reeds too. Does it still have the catalitic converter in the exhaust? Remove it and install d plate. If you have power valves, taken them apart and clean them. I tried to do a quick cleaning and that was a waste of time.

For me and many others the oil lines coming off is the main source of this type of failure. Ive abused my ski as well. Ive had the ski full of water all the way to the top of the battery. Never had any issues even started it like that. Note didnt know better at the time. but what did me in was the oil line coming off the carb. Many people block off the oil system and premix the oil.

Here is a hell of a bump ... Got her running and YouTube video coming .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

+1

Very cool. Sounds snappy with a dry exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information