How Long do Seadoo Xp 951 last?

Hey all! Just a quick question....i have a 2002 Seadoo xp...custom paint job...hydroturf...and k&n air filter....should do around 66 with the vts working! and i was wondering how long they last....as in hour wise...it has 80-85 hours on it...im on it pretty much every day during the summer....sometimes when im free in the spring...i keep good care of her over all...well i try to atleast...gotta fix a couple things but she will be almost mint by the time april 2012 comes...with the exeption of one chip in the paint and a few scratches that cannot be buffed out...there too deep....so i was wondering if they last 300-400 hours...i might throw a r&d intake grate or somethin small like that...just to boost the speed a bit more...dont wanna spend alot of money on her...guys have any ideas? How long they last...and what should i do with her?

+1
    Good luck, These motor are hit in miss. If you get 200 hr out of it you are doing good. I think I heard someone got 450 hr or so. It seem that if you do prevented maintains on them like change the piston and rings before it grenades it will run allot longer The skits on the piston seem to crack after awhile and then chipping off getting stuck in the crank knocking a hole in the case. The 99 and newer 951 motor were better than the 97-98. I hope your runs 400+ for you.

Thanks man! I mean is it really worth to add somethin to it...will it make the life longer or am i just wasting my money! LOL I love the ski...dont get me wrong the body and suspension is just amazing...plus its a lot better on gas thats why i dont want to upgrade to the rxp...so my choices are use my 02' xp next season and then try to sell it and look for an 03 or 04 di xp...or i can just keep it for a longer while and modify a couple things on mine and replace things as time goes on....im not quite sure what todo?

+1
    I never had a DI. But most of the people that have had them say there a night mar to work on and the part are not cheap. I would just ride your old one and hope for the best. That what i been doing. It cheaper than replacing a 4 stroke motor. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    most of the people that have had them say there a night mar to work on and the part are not cheap.
    +1 run!!! They are very expensive, and when they break, it is often bad. Sell it and buy an 99+ 2-stroke. Put a good set of aftermarket carbs on if you want it to be super reliable.

I own a 02" now...not a di..and it has about 80-85 hours on it.....im thinkin about fixin the stuff the needs to be fixed over the winter and then just take really good care of it....forget about it and just ride it til i have a problem...then if its a big problem ill sell it....and try to find another one...cause i really dont wanna own anything but an xp....Thanks For the Input Guys!

Then download the manual and learn about the ski. I can put a new crank and pistons in an xpl for under $1000. You can put at least 200 hours on that motor without a rebuild if it is stock.

Remember those carbs have a lean spot. No half throttle. Wide open or continuously on and off the gas, or you will stick a piston. I learned the hard way on my 951's madon voyage.

+1
    Leave it stock, its a 2 cycle, u never know when it will stick a piston. My buddy has the di version and its a nice piece, mo problams

Thread Information