Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need trailer help

I have a single place jet ski trailer made by Perforamce Trailer out of Clearwater. I had two complete tire rims sent last year for backup. Found out last week that both rims were machined wrong - bent and out of round - 16.5 x 6 x 8 - galvanized offset rims. Performance trailer appears to be closed and soon liquidated.

I need tires/rims that will work. any help appreciated. Thanks

Tim [email protected]

Ps Trailer in Fort Myers area.

+1
    It's a shame that Performance Trailers shut down. They made the best heavy duty trailer anywhere. The rims are not made by them. Any 5 lug trailer rim will work fine. Walmart even carries them. I would recommend that you upgrade to 12 inch rims. The 8" can be dangerous when towing at interstate speeds.

Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    The 8" can be dangerous when towing at interstate speeds.

Richard

Why is that and what is dangerous about 8" wheels? I've run them for years

+1
    Smaller diameter tire means the tire spins faster at highway speeds which creates a lot of heat in the bearings. Excessive heat will shorten the life of the bearing.

You might also try Northern tools. they have all sorts of trailer stuff and I've had real good luck with products from them. Karl

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Smaller diameter tire means the tire spins faster at highway speeds which creates a lot of heat in the bearings. Excessive heat will shorten the life of the bearing.
    Well, I've run 8" tires on just about every light trailer I have ever owned. I've been from Maine to Florida running at highway speeds many times for many years. Never once have I checked a bearing and found it to be anything that I couldn't put my hand on and keep it there.

Maybe if the trailer is overloaded or the bearings are undergreased, but just because they are spinning faster does not "create a lot of heat".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Well, I've run 8" tires on just about every light trailer I have ever owned. I've been from Maine to Florida running at highway speeds many times for many years. Never once have I checked a bearing and found it to be anything that I couldn't put my hand on and keep it there.

Maybe if the trailer is overloaded or the bearings are undergreased, but just because they are spinning faster does not "create a lot of heat".

If your light trailers consist of 8" wheels then your "light trailer" is not the same as my light trailer (8,000 lbs, very light is 3,500 lbs). When I went shoping for a trailer for my Sea Doo I ask what size are rims was on it and what size of bearings were in the hubs. Most trailer I came across had 1 1/16" bearings or 1 3/8" bearings (these are inner bearings sizes), these trailer also had 1,500-2,000 lb axles. I would not settle for anything less than 1 3/4" or 3,500 lb axles. This prompt me to build my trailer for my Sea Doo because I could not find what I wanted.

For trailer bearings to last whether it be on anytype of trailer, the bearings must be preloaded and properly lubricated, I say properly lubricated because there are three types of trailer bearings, sealed, greased pack, and oil bath, the last being the best of three. I have ran 30 ton Lowboy trailers to there limit and never had bearing problems as long as oil was changed and preload was check every year.

If anyone overloads a trailer they are just asking for trouble from the beginning and if they have not had trouble, then they are Lucky. I have seen horse hauler and travel trailer rigs flip over because the front wheel and hub came off the truck. The main reason for the front wheel and hub to come off the vehicle is due to poor maintenance (bad lubrication or incorrect bearing preload.)

I’m not trying to hijack the thread but do new skis come with trailers or do you have to buy one separate?

new skis do not come with trailers. the dealer usually adds the price of a trailer to the bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information