Thread: 97 gsx 787

97 gsx 787

My brother in laws 787 rave

Rebuilt carbs
    Pop off is 32 psi
    1.5 N&S
    Compression is 165 per cylinder.
    Choke removed and primer kit installed

Ski starts right up has no issues. Idles fine.

But try flooring it, it does not want to go past 2750-3250

If you use the primer it will go past this rpm, once past this rpm the ski will run fine, just has an issue getting past.

All new lines, fuel selector cleaned. fuel filter was cleaned, and carb filters are clean!

I tried every combo of h/s l/s settings

Started off with 1.25 on lows and closed on highs. then went from 1.25 to 3 turns at 1/4 turn intervals, with no changes. and went down all the way to .5 turns. It really wanted to bog at that point. tried opening the high speed and no changes.

Once the ski is past this rpm it will run 6950 7000 rpms no problem!

What you guys think?

+1
    Sounds like the rave vales are opening to soon.

adjusted raves, im using dull silver springs. and had black springs in it to...

should i try shinny silver? my pop off tested 32 with carbs off, and diaprams off

Do you have the stock airbox on it or aftermarket filters?

+1
    Is the pulse line kinked or cracked? Might be a dumb Q but, Are the diaphragms in the right way?

STOCK box.

Ill check line

You have the classic 1997 "sticky RAVE" issue. There is a TSB about this. In 97 they made the bores that the raves slide in smaller, so even clean raves stick. I had a 97 GSX that I purchased blown up, and after I rebuilt it, it had this same problem, it would go right up to about 4K RPM and stick there. If you pumped the throttle, it would get past this point right up to top speed.

The fix for this is they came out with the slotted rave paddles. I simply bought a pair of new-style slotted paddles off eBay, stuck them in, and it ran perfectly afterward.

Pull one of your raves. If you have the solid, non-slotted raves, get some slotted ones and this will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    You have the classic 1997 "sticky RAVE" issue. There is a TSB about this. In 97 they made the bores that the raves slide in smaller, so even clean raves stick. I had a 97 GSX that I purchased blown up, and after I rebuilt it, it had this same problem, it would go right up to about 4K RPM and stick there. If you pumped the throttle, it would get past this point right up to top speed.

The fix for this is they came out with the slotted rave paddles. I simply bought a pair of new-style slotted paddles off eBay, stuck them in, and it ran perfectly afterward.

Pull one of your raves. If you have the solid, non-slotted raves, get some slotted ones and this will fix the problem.

There non slotted, but man they slide up and down smooth as can be?

+1
    Ride with the black caps and springs off and see if it makes a difference. I had non slotted raves and they worked fine. Are the paddles clean? You might have a leak on the bellows is any oil seeping out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    Ride with the black caps and springs off and see if it makes a difference. I had non slotted raves and they worked fine. Are the paddles clean? You might have a leak on the bellows is any oil seeping out of them?
    This makes no difference, I tried this first as well. Mine slid in and out by hand with no resistance. Put slotted rave paddles in and it worked perfectly afterward. There is no point chasing anything else down until you replace the solid paddles with slotted ones. For some reason the solid ones just hang up at the critical point and the slotted ones don't.

Thread Information