Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL900/1050 Stator Question Backfire/Bog

Howdy,
    I have a '96 SL900 I bought that sat for "about a year" before I got it (pump destroyed by neglect then ran with NO bearings back to ramp). I rebuilt another pump and added a Nu Jet 6.0 Destroyer. Anyways, upon starting it up it bogs out and backfires through the exhaust. I pulled the plugs and they're wet. I initially thought it to be a carb issue, but upon inspection they look great. I replaced all the lines while they were on the bench btw. So, I tore into the ebox to see if I have a stator problem. Upon testing, the only one out of spec was the exciter coil with the grey wire. Spec is 80 or 88 ohms and mine is at 71 ohms. My question is, is this enough to limit spark to where it exhibits the afore mentioned symptoms, or could it be something else? I'm curious as I haven't checked static timing, but am wondering if the ignition is retarded either statically or electronically. I tested the resistance on fuel (ok) oil (ok) and temp sender (open). I'm assuming stator as it was reportedly running ok when the pump let go, just not looking forward to the $300 update, or the joys of replacing another one in an sl while standing on my head. (Why is it only my sl's go bad and not my slt?) Any opinions or experience with this would be welcomed and I promise to finish this thread with a solution as it's become a peave of mine reading through posts left unsolved!

Tracy
    Last edited by HU112BU; 11-06-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: I can't spel so gud

+1
    If you have a lean bog it could be than your engine is getting too much air and not enough fuel. One simple trick is to open up the choke to balance the air/fuel mixture if it starts responding better then you will need to adjust your low speed screws (the keihin's don't have highs), check your jets or both.

In relation to the stator update I don't think there is a proven way of testing it for failure it just happens (someone can correct me here if I'm wrong). The symptons of the stator issue are more to do with the engine dying all of a sudden and not starting back up after a period. I think you might be ok with the stator, I have owned a couple of 900's and never had this problem personally.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The domestic's require very strong batteries. How good is the one in the ski?

Have you tried cutting the plug wires back 1/4" yet?

What spark plugs did you install? And what are they gapped at?

+1
    Start with xlint's checks,

The stator reading isn't low enough to condem it right now,but I did have a 1050 that acted that way(spark would cut out while revving,than come back and back fire in exhaust,tested good,but bad stator.
    The 96 900 could have 2 different firing orders depending on coil part #-double check that.

Banned User
    +1
    If you are having ignition problems and the update hasn't been done, I would just do it and not have to worry about it any more.

Thanks guys,
    First, it's not lean, it's rich and it's not backfiring through the carbs but the exhaust. When you open the throttle it bogs and when you let off it will fire and ignite unburned fuel in the pipe. This eliminates reeds or fuel delivery. Second, ohm'd the wires and caps (within spec) and cut back 1/4 inch to fresh wire just to be sure. Plugs are hotter but not an exact replacement. I've got a new set of BR7ES in it from my 750 collection. The "P" in the number that's missing is for "Projected Electrode". I put the ones back in it that came out but suffered the same symptoms. Firing order is "the funky 900" and switching #2 and #3 results in even poorer performance.

I've been wondering, did anyone notice a perfomance difference with the update kit? The only difference I can find between the '96 900/1050 and the '97s is the cdi, but both models have a claimed 10hp increase from Polaris. This carried through later years as well, so I'm curious if the newer cdi has a more aggresive timing curve with possibly more total advance. Anyways, gonna get stator update, as BryanP suugested "I won't have to worry about it". While I'm in there though I am going to make certain the timing marks are correct as it seems strange that if the Ohms are ok and the stator is not.

Tracy

Banned User
    +1
    I think the firing order on the earlier 1996 models was different. I think they fired 1-2-3. Later on they switched to 1-3-2. I think there was a slight power gain from that. Mine fires 1-3-2. Spin the crank watching in the spark plug holes for the pistons to come up. You can figure out the firing order you have from that. All I know is that my 96 SL 900 is very quick, way faster than any of the Fuji powered skis. I Get 58+ on GPS with mine. The only thing not stock on mine is a standard 4 degree wedge and a 6 vein stainless stator. I also have the 97 impeller on it.

Not saying you have not checked them yet but are your accel's squirting. I just no mine had no power when mine got clogged.

+1
    Yes,sometimes they will pass "static" tests-but when engine vibration is added it's a different story.

Both CDI's show timing of 11deg at 6250. Not sure why the different HP ratings.
    The 96 models CDI had a timing "retard" when there was a warning(oil-heat-fuel?), the 97's had an actual RPM limiter

Well, I ordered the stator and cdi. I'm thinking that if these are so fickle with battery voltage to spark, they may be sensitive to minute changes in ohm resistance as well. I was just going through my service manual, and timing is the same 96-97 [email protected] They show the HP for the 96 as [email protected], and the 97 as [email protected] The cylinders, heads, and pistons all being the same as per the Polaris microfische, but they list the compression for the [email protected] to 1, and the [email protected] to 1. (??????????) The 1050 is a similar mystery showing 115+hp in 96, but then [email protected] in 97 with no part changes other than the cdi. I have worked on about every brand of pwc at one time or another, but these polaris's seriously have issues all their own. I think I will start calling them "Sea-Harleys" due to all the ideosyncrasies in engineering and the high price of replacement parts!

Tracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information