Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 Yamaha FX HO troubles

I have a 2011 Yamaha FX Ho that has only just clocked 20 hours. Since the day i purchased it, the waverunner doesn't always start. I can be in the water for 30 minutes, i'll shut it off and it won't start for about 5 minutes. I have to lock it, unlock it and keep trying to start it, til it eventually starts. It's my first ever waverunner so wasn't sure if that was normal. The company who sold it to me said it was very normal, because it's a new ski. But when I took it back for a service the problem still persists. I spoke to a competing Yamaha dealer and they said it is definitely not normal. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

I also didn't use the ski for around 3 months, took it back to the dealer who sold me the ski and asked them to check it over before I took it back out on the water...charged me $136 and when I got home the battery was dead. I don't even think that dealer turned the ski on. Is it normal for a battery to die with such a new ski?

+1
    not normal what so ever, should always start and in the mode you shut it off in find a new dealer or shop asap

+1
    Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with that particular starting problem but I would definately switch dealerships. If the battery was charged and they ran the ski it should have still been fine when you got it home. If the competing dealership you spoke of is close enough I would begin to use them. If you are having a battery and starting issue this soon I can only guess that it is simply a loose connection somewhere. Start with the battery connections and if it is not there get it to the dealership and make them find it.

+1
    Not normal at all!! Actually after running the ski, when you shut it off, it should start like a hybrid car, you don't even notice it!
    Change the dealer as everyone said ASAP! You are dealing with either crooks or rookies!

Quote Originally Posted by roogirl3 View Post
    I have a 2011 Yamaha FX Ho that has only just clocked 20 hours. Since the day i purchased it, the waverunner doesn't always start. I can be in the water for 30 minutes, i'll shut it off and it won't start for about 5 minutes. I have to lock it, unlock it and keep trying to start it, til it eventually starts. It's my first ever waverunner so wasn't sure if that was normal. The company who sold it to me said it was very normal, because it's a new ski. But when I took it back for a service the problem still persists. I spoke to a competing Yamaha dealer and they said it is definitely not normal. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

I also didn't use the ski for around 3 months, took it back to the dealer who sold me the ski and asked them to check it over before I took it back out on the water...charged me $136 and when I got home the battery was dead. I don't even think that dealer turned the ski on. Is it normal for a battery to die with such a new ski?

Care to share the name of the offending dealership so others can beware.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogirl3 View Post
    No, these 4 strokes are usually the most reliable starting marine systems on the planet. Over 250 hours total on the two Yamahas and they have never missed a start, not even once.

The only minor problems we ever had were on our Sea-Doos; I had an intermittent problem a couple years ago which sounds like what you are describing (wouldn't crank then after trying a few times it would start) -- as I recall I think that turned out to be the starter solenoid which was replaced under warranty. The only other time one of our Sea-Doos had a loose battery cable and I fixed it on the lake. Other than that, we have had hundreds upon hundreds of perfect starts on these watercraft. So -- NO, despite what that dealer told you IT IS NOT NORMAL and has nothing to do with being a new ski!

+1
    does it run rough after it starts
    sounds like it may be a leaking injector

+1
    Yes we had this prob, it was a pinched fuel tank breather hose, also the fuel line out of the tank had a kink in it. The dealer here checks for this prob now before they go out the door. Try undoing gas tank cap when it wont start and see what happens. Also follow that breather hose right from tank to outlet, ours was pinched between the body.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I would let the name of that dealership out, that problem is not normal at all on our ho's or any ski for that matter!

not normal i have the same engine in my ski and starts write up. take it to another dealer or make that dealer fix it if they are a yamaha dealer. and if they still give you the run around, call yamaha corporation and complain about that dealer and then go some were else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information