+1

How many times can you split a wire?

So I'm looking at possibly making my own trailer harness for an aluminum two place triton. Triton says this is a special order piece, so I might go at it myself.

But as I'm drawing out the diagram, it looks like the brown and white ground get split 10 times (Brown actually 5 times per side since it's a split harness)? Triton individually grounds each lamp instead of grounding it to the frame.

Lef Front Clearance, Right Front Clearance, Three Rear Clearance, Left Rear Clearance, Right Rear Clearance, License Plate Lamp, Left Turn/Brake Lamp, Right Turn/Break Lamp.

Does that sound right?

+1
    You can split it as much as you want. The lights draw very little current, so it won't be an issue to run one ground wire per side and then splice wires to it. Just make sure to seal them up really well. I used 5200 (marine adhesive/sealant) where I used any kind of splice. That will keep it waterproof, which is the most important thing for these trailers that we put into the water.

+1
    Good idea.

I've also heard of using hot glue on the soldered joint, then heatshrink on top of that.

+1
    I would not use a hot glue gun. I've rebuilt my old WaveVenture displays and they had hot-glued a bunch of components. The salt water still got in there and rotted out a couple resistors. 5200 is really good because it is made for marine environments and expands and contracts well. It also sticks to the surfaces very well (as long as they care clean - e.g. no grease).

+1
    Ok, so I considered the 5200 but it doesn't even get tack free for 48 hours which sounds like a huge mess given the number of connections.

So, I bought some 3/8" vinyl flex tubing and slid that over the connections, then squirted the 5200 into that. I can't imagine it being anymore watertight than that.

I thought it might not dry well inside the tubing but them I read on the package that once the 5200 is open it has to be used in 48 hours, even with the cap on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    Ok, so I considered the 5200 but it doesn't even get tack free for 48 hours which sounds like a huge mess given the number of connections.

So, I bought some 3/8" vinyl flex tubing and slid that over the connections, then squirted the 5200 into that. I can't imagine it being anymore watertight than that.

I thought it might not dry well inside the tubing but them I read on the package that once the 5200 is open it has to be used in 48 hours, even with the cap on.
    Use 5200 Fast Cure (FC) cures in 1 hour.

+1
    I've heard of 4200...is that the fast cure? Or is it actually called 5200 FC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    I've heard of 4200...is that the fast cure? Or is it actually called 5200 FC?
    4200 is a weaker version of 5200. Both are made in standard cure, or FC (fast cure)

What I would do and it is actually what I do and because it makes it real easy when you need to replace or repair something. Soldered the joint and put hot glue over it real good and then slid the shrink tub over like you have read and it while it is steal wet and then apply the heat to the shrink tube. Then over the shrink tube put the 5200 FC over that and wrap it in electric tape.

That makes for a solid protection from water and elements and the reason I do it that way is if you ever need to make a repair the hot glue pulls away a lot easier then just the 5200 alone, but you still have the protection from the 5200 bond.

Banned User
    +1
    I use the crimp on butt splices that are heat shrinkable. They have an adhesive in them that seals the connection when you shrink it.

Thread Information