Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Home Audio Help Needed

I'm wanting to install surround sound in my living room and speakers for my outside deck area. My living room is wired for stereo (two speakers on front wall) and there are speaker wires routed to the deck area too. I need to run wires for the rear speakers in the living room. Should I hire a pro or is this something I can do myself. Any tips on equipment and set up would be helpful as well.

If you mod a ski, you can do it yourself!! I have a similar setup at my house. it is easy, I wired it all myself.

If you have an unfinised basement it is even eaiser...

Not sure what receiver you want but I have seen ones with wireless rear speakers. I would do wireless to the outside as well. The rock speakers are pretty neat and people are like wtf where is that coming from.

Usually run my rear speaker throught the carpet. Get some pliers and pull at the rug where it meets the wall and it will root up. You can slide the wire behind the nails and then push the rug back down on the nails. You can also get a white wall tape to go up the wall where the wires meet the speaker. Rear speakers are supposed to be about a foot over your head from the spot you would be listening (not pointed at you). The concept is to have the sound going over you.

+1
    Unfortunately, my floor is all slate, so I can't do the under the carpet thing. But the Stereo/TV cabinet is built into the wall and there is a hole in the back for wires. I just have to figure out how to get the wires to the rear wall. I just moved into the house and have not been up in the attic. I guess I need to get up there to see what is involved.

I'll have to look into that wireless thing. I'm buying all new equipment, so I will check that out.

Frank

We have a installler that we use for Huntington Custom homes located in Frisco who does all of new homes wired for speakers and internet cableing! If you want they can come to your house and give you an estimate! Let me know and I will let you know who to contact!

If you have a crawl space that makes it easy. If you can get into the roof/attic you use a "fish line/hook". A long metal hook. Then you run it behind the wall with the cable connected and poke a hole in the wall until you see it. I have seen a laser contraption too.

this is one with wireless rear standups, just a quick search...
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/041505panasonic/

+1
    The stacks of stuff I have in there generates a good number of wires-- 3 rear speakers' pairs of wire, 2) cable tv cables, FM antenna cable, 1 set of wires to patio speakers, CAT 5 to aux AP for this end of the house.

I was fortunate-- my AC return is at the end of the wall where my entertainment center sits. I ran the bundle of wires behind the cabnet, a short distance in the open into a hole that enters the AC return. Easy run up into the attic from there. I covered the exposed bundle on the baseboard with a piece of corner molding.

Only problem was fishing the wires down inside the walls for the three rear speakers..... a bit tight in the attic there as I have a peaked ceiling in that room.

If you decide to try to install the wires up the wall from behind the cabnet-- suggestion-- if at all possible, install a 1-2 inch PVC conduit . Terminate it into a quad box in the wall and stub it out in the attic. Leave a pull string in place. MUCH easier to add wires later.

ANother tip-- bring a lengthof 2x6 with ya into the attic. You can place it betweeen the rafters to kneel on up there instead of balancing... or not balancing LOL

+1
    Chris, I might take you up on that. I don't know if I am up to the task or wiring the speakers. I will go up in the attic and scout the situation.

Fishing wires inside a wall is not always that easy. I just did my house with cat 5 in every room for internet but it is newer construction and there are fire stops in the walls (2 x 4 that go horizontally between the studs)

When you hit the fire stop you have to make a groove in the sheet rock, bring it out and then go back in the wall. Then of course you have to repair the wall. You can check it out before you commit. You can go in the attic and run a snake between the studs where you want it and see if it hits something.

I regreted doing it. It took a lot of time and it was uncomfortable, I am no spring chicken anymore. I could have hired some 20 year old electritian's helper cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle View Post
    Not sure what receiver you want but I have seen ones with wireless rear speakers. I would do wireless to the outside as well. The rock speakers are pretty neat and people are like wtf where is that coming from.

Usually run my rear speaker throught the carpet. Get some pliers and pull at the rug where it meets the wall and it will root up. You can slide the wire behind the nails and then push the rug back down on the nails. You can also get a white wall tape to go up the wall where the wires meet the speaker. Rear speakers are supposed to be about a foot over your head from the spot you would be listening (not pointed at you). The concept is to have the sound going over you.

We have wireless system by Technophonic, works very well, we added a rear center wireless speaker as well (heck I bought a 60 inch TV I Want to hear some movie sounds )...only thing is it is 2.4 which interferes with 1) wirelesss internet 2) phones etc...so we have to turn the wireless amp/sender off when doing the other stuff, but at movie time it rocks...and...I can carry 2-3 of the speakers outside and just change the wiring a bit to send the stereo out by the pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information