Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Brand new to this site (and PWCs). Have a few questions.

So I drove down to Florida from Alabama and purchased a 2002 Seadoo GTX 4TEC. The marina selling the ski on consignment told me it only had 48 hours on it. When I got there to pick up the ski it looked like it was left in the Florida sun most of its life. The seat needs recovering and the bottom half of the hull is grey instead of black now. There are several cosmetic things I will have to fix and I'm OK with that. However, in the front storage compartment, there is an MPEM (I guess that's what it's called) and the controller with 2 big plugs on it (assuming it controls the injection?). I took it to the lake for the first time today and let a friend of mine who knows way more than I do about these things and he said it revved too quickly on the water. When I purchased the ski, I really should've done some more reading and research to know what to look for...lesson learned. They showed me a service record from August that showed a 100% good wear ring, no codes and 150 psi on all 3 cylinders. The wear ring is in pretty bad shape and it was in salt water probably a lot of its life. The impeller is going to have to be reworked as well. So, all this to ask, with this extra computer found, where is the hour information stored? The "cluster" or the computer, or both? I don't want to connect the old computer as I have no idea what was wrong with it and don't want to mess anything up. Where can I send this computer to have the hours read? I'm assuming probably back to sesadoo since it would require a wiring harness?

Thanks for all your help in advance. I'm hoping I can fix some of the things with this ski and enjoy it. I will probably be spending a lot of time on this site replacing intake grates, rebuilding jet pumps and all that fun stuff!

+1
    Please tell us that you didn't buy a rental ski!

+1
    Welcome to the site. I hope we can help...

I hope you have some thick skin, and a deep wallet. Those rental bastards saw you coming.

Look on the bright side... You'll know a whole bunch about repairing skis by the time you are done. Plus it's winter. You'll have time to work on it.

how much did you pay for it??

+1
    The hours are stored in the display. That is my understanding. The hull needs a good buff, cut, and polish. Replace the wear ring, prop, and check the bearing grease and o rings. Change the plugs, oil, and filter and you will be well on your way to being in decent shape. Buy the lifting slings and raise it up with an engine hoist to cut and buff the hull and the rest of the components above the water. Get new decals and it will look good as new. Also, get a jet trim seat cover or get a local upholsterer to redo it for you. Around $80-$120 for that. Back the ski in the water and let it run for a good bit to flush the exhaust and cycle the oil and such. I would run it for 20 mins and replace the oil and plugs again. Put a new filter in as well.
    The HT moto fluid extractor works best. At autozone, the oil a lot of us use is Valvoline 4-Tec Motorcycle Oil. It works well with these engines. Good luck!

+1
    In 02the the hours are stored in the Ecu. Not the cluster, or the mpem from my experience...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by b_dolla44 View Post
    In 02the the hours are stored in the Ecu. Not the cluster, or the mpem from my experience...
    Interesting. Thanks

Thanks guys for all the responses. There's a lot of great info on this site. I'm about 99% sure it was not a rental ski. I was told by a local mechanic that they wouldn't have purchased a Limited for a rental ski. I'm going to try and get the last owner's info and contact him and see what I can find out. The ski is at the mechanics right now getting looked over so hopefully I will know tomorrow more about what it's going to take to recondition it. I figure as long as the motor's not hurt I can spend a little money to get it looking good. And yes, I have all winter to do iit haha. I will post as soon as I hear something from the guy about what he's found tomorrow. I've already planned for a new wear ring, impeller being reworked, maybe a new intake grate since this one's rusted and a couple plastic pieces to replace.

And to who asked me what I paid for it, I gave $2800.

OK, a couple more questions for you guys. How do I tell if my ski has OPAS? It has fins on both sides of the rear of the hull that move when you turn but I'm not sure if those are just for help steering or what.

Also, if the dealer I purchased this ski from showed me where the wear ring was 100% in August, is it possible for it to be in bad shape in a month and a half? To me that sounds crazy and makes me wonder if they didn't show me records on another machine.

+1
    you can stuff a wear ring in 1 ride if you suck up sand, rocks etc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information