Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reading engine lights? and drain for counter balance shaft

Ok so I messed up and didn't put the hull drain plugs in, man I was pissed.

Water in the hull, drained it out started it but I have an engine light?
    Runs fine and strong but how to I check the light?

Oh need to drain and fill the counter balance shaft, but where is the stupid drain the manual doesn't say where it is? Any flushing procedures to follow?

Thanks

What Year, Make And Model of ski?

97 gsx and 2000 xpl

These skis don't have "check engine" lights. You either have an oil low light, or a low fuel light on.

First of all, on the 2000 XPL, the counterbalance cavity is sealed, no need to check or drain it on the 951 engine.

The process on the GSX is a little more complex, On the PTO (rear) area of engine, underneath the slant, you will see a slotted cap. This is the fill point for the CB gear area. Directly underneath this "bump" on the very bottom there is a small allen-head set screw, this is the drain. You need to do it by feel, and use a allen wrench (I forget size, think it might be 5 mm) to unscrew it. On some engines you have to use a cutoff allen wrench as there isn't much clearance. Take out this screw, let water drain out, take off top cap, pour a little oil in to help wash out the water, put plug back in , pour a little oil in, doesn't need much.

The gsx beeps and has a engine malfunction flashing for about 30s on the digital dash. I haven't reset it yet by holding down the set button just incase I can read it. I was told that seadoo dealers are the only ones that read the codes? The gsx runs strong, but the xpl is in like a limp mode, its not mine but I will be fixing it for a friend in the spring.

Ya its the gsx with the counterbalance shaft is the one that needs to be drained and fill I read 30ml which is not much at all. Thanks for tips, I'll fix that before I cover it up for winter.

There are no codes on a 97 GSX. The carb skis didn't have any code capability. Are you sure that it is a 97 GSX (which is carb-only) and not a 98 GSX RFI (which has codes)?

If it is a 98 RFI, then yes, there could be codes. You no longer have to take it to a dealer, you can use the Candoopro system (available here in the store) to diagnose it yourself.

BTW, you only need to drain the counterbalancer cavity if you got water in the cylinders. Otherwise there is no need. And if you got water in it, you need to get it out of there as soon as possible or you will rust the bearing.

Also BTW, there is no limp mode on the carb XPL's, there probably is a fuel or rave issue with it.

Well the GSX has a digital read out, and it flashes? Where it says hours it says maintenance sorry I was saying malfunction before?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1020150copy.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	257887

Quote Originally Posted by crxski View Post
    Well the GSX has a digital read out, and it flashes? Where it says hours it says maintenance sorry I was saying malfunction before?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1020150copy.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	257887
    Oh, this is the Maintenance reminder light, comes on every 25 hours. Just press and hold the SET button for 2 seconds while you see this on the info center, and that will reset the counter and remove the message.

It isn't related to engine codes, as there are none on a 97 GSX.

You should really be changing the counter balance fluid every second year or more frequently if used heavily. This tiny bit of maintenance can save your entire engine.

+1
    31.3 hours a a 97 GSX!!! Holly Crap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information