Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Power valve cover not sealing

Guessing I got a bum cylinder from someone here a year ago or Millennium swapped on me as I don't think this could happen on a fresh water ski.
    Didn't notice the deterioration around the power valve compartment until got it back from Millennium. (would have been nice if they would have said something before working on the cylinder, huh?)
    Anyway, put '01 XLT1200 motor back together and pressure test reveals huge leak here.
    Question; would high-temp liquid gasket seal and hold or I do I dismantle and attempt weld repair?
    Suspect liquid gasket would hold for pressure test but don't know about actual use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0490.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	257833

Thanks.

+1
    Never seen one like that. The acid millenium uses to clean the jugs does eat away the aluminum. I had a jug that had a pinhole from a transfer port to the waterjacket because of this. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't pass the pressure check. I would try fixing this with JB weld to build up the thickness of that area. You could always send it back to millenium, I'm sure they'll fix it for free - they did on mine that had the pinhole

+1
    Just talked to Millennium. They want their serial number, which isn't visible once installed. (Why would they do that?) They said to send it back, they'll look at then call me. Didn't say they would fix for free, nor did I ask if they would charge me. I guess I'll start tearing it back down tomorrow. Plan is to get the ski running and sell it. JB Weld would be quick and easy, but I want it fixed right so whoever buys it doesn't have a problem six or twelve months down the road.

+1
    They track them with the serial number. If they've worked on it they'll fix it for free.
    I really think JB would be a good fix. You're only widening that one little area, and filling in the porosity. I've used JB to fill porosity spots on other mating surfaces on cylinders for the same condition, and it holds up great.

+1
    JB gets my vote for this application too. There is no load here, just make sure you get it clean. If JB weld sticks to aluminum in a jet pump and all the pressure there, it will surely hold well here. Build it up, and use a fine file to make it flat. It will do fine, and you don't have to disassemble head and cyl.

+1
    Take a file and carefully cut about .010-.020 off ther entire gasket sealing aera should do the trick. Tommy Jordan

+1
    If I try JB Weld and it doesn't work, will Millennium still fix for free? Should I ask them first?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    If u want them to fix it I would talk to them first. Then if your not satisfied go the jb route. If u jb it first they may not warrenty it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Take a file and carefully cut about .010-.020 off ther entire gasket sealing aera should do the trick. Tommy Jordan
    Fastest and best way

+1
    Thanks for the input so far fellas. Spoke with Millennium yesterday, they seem to be hedging on a free repair but wanted me to send pics, which I did. Interestingly, it seems that the serial # they stamped on this cylinder doesn't match with what they have on file for me. I'm relatively new at this rebuild game but I think I would have noticed this problem when I sent them the cylinder, had it existed prior to Millennium receiving it. I'm thinking they inadvertently swapped my cylinder with someone else's. We'll see what they have to say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information