+1

Should I seal these gaps?

I'm rewiring the trailer and noticed gaps around the end caps. It seems odd that the lights take gaskets to keep water out but then have these gaps. Or are the gaskets just an easy way to mount the lights?

+1
    I think they make them like that so the water doesn't gets trap in there. The gaskets is more about mounting and take the shock out. If I was to redo my trailer light. I put sealed multi LED light all the way around. If some of light burn out you still have a bunch that will last a long time and they can take more of a beating then a traditional light. But you might be doing this too.Good luck

+1
    I think they make them like that so the water doesn't gets trap in there. The gaskets is more about mounting and take the shock out. If I was to redo my trailer light. I put sealed multi LED light all the way around. If some of light burn out you still have a bunch that will last a long time and they can take more of a beating then a traditional light. Good luck
    Last edited by 20 feet Boy; 11-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.

+1
    That's what I was thinking. I'm in the process of converting to LED's. Very cool, but it ain't cheap. But the trailers not going anywhere for awhile so theres no rush I guess. It's probably a $150 project easy...10 new lights, 2/3 prong connectors, wiring, etc. I'm redoing the bearings now at the same time. Just waiting for the grease seals to come in the mail. Then I need new tires, winches, coupler, ball and safety chains. Add on a storage box, gas can rack and spare tire carrier and I can call this bad boy done...sigh.

Heres the old and new dust caps to give you an idea of what I'm up against.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	257927  

+1
    Sorry for the double post. You should put bearing Buddie's on the trailer. They work slick for greasing.

+1
    It has the ez lube system on it. Bearing buddies aren't needed. When you remove the dust cap there's a zerk fitting on the spindle. When you squirt grease into there it comes out of two holes in the the rear of the spindle, behind the rear bearing and in front of the grease seal. This lubes the rear bearing. You just keep squirting grease in there and the old grease gets forced out the front lubricating the front bearing as well. Neat system.

+1
    OK I have seen them before. Now I known what you were talking about. Post some photos when finished.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    OK I have seen them before. Now I known what you were talking about. Post some photos when finished.

Will do. I got the amber side markers in, there's $40.

I'm in the process of polishing the trailer with a Mothers Powerball and thier aluminum polish. Talk about a huge difference! I'm not sure how I'm gonna finish it with the skis on there though. I tried squeezing the ball in between the ski and the trailer, no go. Gonna look funny with parts of it unpolished. Oh well.

LED lights against the polished aluminum looks kick ass though.

Thread Information