Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to look for in used Sea Doo purchase?

I am looking to buy my first sea doo bombardier jet ski and am wondering what to look for? Its a 1993 and it has not been used for about 8 years. The spark plug wires hve been cut but i have hooked it up to a battery so i can hear it crank. advice anyone?

+1
    If you know how to rebuild skis yourself, I would take everything apart, replace fuel lines, gaskets, possibly pistons. Look for rust in the internals and drain and replace all fluids. Do you have pics of the engine? Only other reason why the wires would be cut is if they were melted to the plugs. When you say to hear it crank, does it actually crank and does the impeller move freely?

Yes i did hear the engine turn over but since the plug wires had been cut it did not start. how do i know which wire goes where? Can i just connect any wire to any plug? Think i will aslo do a compression check, what should good compression be on this engine?

+1
    Any wire to any plug.

I hope you're getting it for free or only paying trailer value because an 18 year old ski that has not run in 8 years is probably going to grenade at some point. Internals like crank bearings and wrist pin bearings easily get surface rust which will quickly lead to excess wear until something lets go, been there done that. If you are mechanically inclined it's easier and cheaper to pull the motor apart and inspect everything then reassemble with new gaskets and seals. Make sure the fuel system is spotlessly clean by removing and cleaning the tank, replace the fuel lines and rebuild the carb or carbs. A few other items are change the jet pump oil, drain and refill the oil tank and check the main battery cables.

Good Luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by deveous9 View Post
    Yes i did hear the engine turn over but since the plug wires had been cut it did not start. how do i know which wire goes where? Can i just connect any wire to any plug? Think i will aslo do a compression check, what should good compression be on this engine?

compression at the high end should 145-150. 100 or lower not good. +1 on what canuck said too.

+2 on canuk, you hopefully got this for cheap, or near nothing.

my brother bought a 93 on a trailer for $200 off of CL, and without the trailer being in good shape, it wouldn't have been a good buy. as of now, its an empty hull in his garage and the engine/electronics are in a box. my suggestion was to strip and sell everything then throw away the hull, he wants to rebuild it ... but imo its throwing good money after bad there...

Well i have not purchased the jet ski yet. I am negotiating with the guy and if i do get it cheap enough i will buy it. I am an ok car mechanic but working on jet skis is very challenging. i plan on rebuilding the motor.

+1
    Honestly, really thinking about it, after rebuilding everything with a cheap jet ski like that, you'll end up paying the price of one that actually runs. He should pay YOU to get rid of it. Your first experience with a jet ski shouldn't be a near complete disaster, +3 canuck, gaskets are most likely corroded/rotted and years of untouched rust. Pass. There should be plenty of ski's for sale living in South cali. If you find a 951, let me know, I have plenty of spare parts for a rebuild

+1
    The one advantage to rebuilding vs buying a running ski is after the rebuild you know what you have, what has been done and how it has been maintained. If you buy a running ski that has not been properly maintained it could grenade on you in few hours then you have to scrap it or pay to fix it.

On the older skis I like to buy them cheap as projects. My 96 GTX I paid $700 ( I'm in Canada and watercraft are not as cheap as the US ) for it not running then rebuilt the motor with crank, counterbalancer, pistons, gaskets, fuel system and a few cosmetic items. I'm into it for around 2K and I know I have a reliable ski for at least 3 to 4 years without the frustration of going to the lake and having to wrench on it.

Ok great tips so thank everyone. I got to check the impeller and yes it does move freely. I also checked the ignition spark and its strong! The compression was 150 in both cylinders and I talked the guy down to a low price. My other concern would be attempting to register the ski under my name since the guy who is selling it is not the registered owner and he doesn't have the paperwork for the ski either. Where is the hull vin located on this model jet ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information