Is there a "How to Install a SC Wheel" thread on this site?

I know a lot of you have changed SC wheels on an SHO but I have not seen a step-by-step description on how to swap the wheel. I have read the R&D installation documentation and they suggest a "clean room" and a couple special tools. I would really like to hear back from someone that has done it themselves a couple times. Do I really need the special tools? What problems did you have? etc.

Getting the SC out of the boat looks pretty straight forward. It's the part about removing the wheel that I want to hear about.

This helps but I still would like to hear from people that have actually done it. Does heating the nut really help?

And BTW does anyone know where you can get a reasonably priced non-click 1/4 inch drive 24-240inch-pound electronic torque wrench?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
    This helps but I still would like to hear from people that have actually done it. Does heating the nut really help?

And BTW does anyone know where you can get a reasonably priced non-click 1/4 inch drive 24-240inch-pound electronic torque wrench?
    I have a Snap On 3/8" drive electronic tq wrench and it does in/ft lbs. Check Ebay, there are several Matco's and Snap On's electronic on there at good prices. You want the 3/8" drive over the 1/4" IMO you can only do so much with a 1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    I have a Snap On 3/8" drive electronic tq wrench and it does in/ft lbs. Check Ebay, there are several Matco's and Snap On's electronic on there at good prices. You want the 3/8" drive over the 1/4" IMO you can only do so much with a 1/4".
    So why does RIVA recommend NOT using a click-style torque wrench?

Their instructions state: NOTE: The following step requires a 24~240 in•lb electronic torque wrench. A 1/4” drive is recommended, but a 3/8” drive will work. If an IN•LB torque wrench is not available DO NOT PROCEED until you locate one. DO NOT USE A CLICK-TYPE

+1
    If you are fairly good with the spanners it should be a doddle, remove the sc, take out the bolts from rear of compressor housing, remove housing by tapping witha nylon mallet. remove the sc shaft nut rememberingits left hand thread. if the wheel is tight apply a small amount of heat with a gas torch and it will fly off, fit new wheel and torque to 70 inch pounds. i used a normal foot pound wrench and did it carefully to 6.8 foot pounds no problems refit housing and tighten some use a small amount of silicone and refit sc.... its as easy as that.

+1
    So why does RIVA recommend NOT using a click-style torque wrench?

Click-type wrenches loose accuracy when tightening counterclockwise. I think Riva feels the loss of accuracy is sufficient to risk breaking the shaft. You should be able to find some 1/4" drive electronic wrenches that measure in that range for < $100. Most of the electronic torque wrenches designed to service automotive TMPS are perfect for the SC application.

Here's an example only - cheaper are available if you search a little

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-OTC383325-.../dp/B002SZVNCO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    If you are fairly good with the spanners it should be a doddle, remove the sc, take out the bolts from rear of compressor housing, remove housing by tapping witha nylon mallet. remove the sc shaft nut rememberingits left hand thread. if the wheel is tight apply a small amount of heat with a gas torch and it will fly off, fit new wheel and torque to 70 inch pounds. i used a normal foot pound wrench and did it carefully to 6.8 foot pounds no problems refit housing and tighten some use a small amount of silicone and refit sc.... its as easy as that.
    +1 I did it the same without any problem....

Thread Information