Thread: removal

removal

do i have to take off exhaust to take off carbs?

generally... no...
    what kind of engine ?

It is generally not a good idea to remove the exhaust, and especially not if it is a 951 engine. The carbs on a 951 can be a real bear the first time you do it, as it is a job that is best done by feel instead of viewing it. Whatever you do, leave the throttle and choke cable adjusters in place and remove the bracket instead, and better yet, leave the cables on the carbs if you just need to do something minor to them.

I'm sorry, im atempting to rebuild the carbs on a 99 gsx ltd 951 silver engine. my mechanic did a top end job and didnt change fuel lines or rebuild the carbs so rather than getting charged another 500 on top of the 955$ for the top end im trying to do it as my winter project!

Look for a set of allen heads that have a socket attachment. Sears have them. You can use a ratchet extension and get in there with it to remove the carbs. GL

Quote Originally Posted by lnxmad View Post
    Look for a set of allen heads that have a socket attachment. Sears have them. You can use a ratchet extension and get in there with it to remove the carbs. GL
    Make sure you get the long, (2 to 4" long) ball headed socket set. Using a set of these makes all the difference in the world. Get a mirror and look to see how the top and bottom allen bolts are mounted. Leave the cables attached & remove them after you get the carbs out. As I said before, do not touch the adjuster mounts, just unscrew the bracket from the carb and leave the cables attached to the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Make sure you get the long, (2 to 4" long) ball headed socket set. Using a set of these makes all the difference in the world. Get a mirror and look to see how the top and bottom allen bolts are mounted. Leave the cables attached & remove them after you get the carbs out. As I said before, do not touch the adjuster mounts, just unscrew the bracket from the carb and leave the cables attached to the bracket.
    Thanks for mentioning. I did run into that issue. Where the socket attachment was did not clear the gap where the bolt was. The allen part was too short.

Thread Information