starter nosecone broke-off

hey folks, long time lurker and frequent user of the search feature-much thanks for all your knowledge sharing!
    2002 virage tx, after attempting to change out starter, the nosecone broke off in the engine.
    i have since moved the ski to the garage to better work on it. in a previous post, someone was told to remove front cover and bang the hell out of it toward the rear of the ski.
    The question i have, is with the help of a mirror, there appears to be a "stop" on the inside of the casing where the starter nose goes into. Is this a stop, because if it is then i cannot bang out the broken starter piece with this in the way.
    i tried to include a picture but am unable to, dont know why, it was within size parameters.Error message 2038?
    thanks for your help.

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    You should be able to pull the flywheel cover and push it back out the hole it goes into.

hey bryan,
    thats the question, i have pulled the cover and tried moderately hitting the piece with a hammer and screwdriver. it is very stuck!. but before i really bang away at it, there is a 2nd piece just forward of the broken piece. i do not know if they are connected or were rather to the starter or if the forward piece is a part of the engine casing. if it is part of the casing, if i bang on it to force it out it will break the casing. i just need clarification on if there is a piece cast or pressed into the starter housing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strternose.gif 
Views:	60 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	258006
    i think this pic worked, in the picture, just below the red mark you can see a shiny silver band, that is the piece in question. it obviously is different than the rusted starter piece but does it come out?

Here are a couple pictures on e-bay that may help you.

The peice of the starter-into the housing is sealed with 2 o-rings,those o-rings will get pretty stuck, try soaking them with WD40,twisting the peice to free it up.
    From the front you probably only see the very small gear from the starter.

Thread Information