Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baldymgb

1996 slx polaris 2 burn down s done clean ups ,, still got issues

1996 slx 780 after two PTO burn down s i ve just finished crank indexing with the pencil trick ,is right on , all rebuilt carbs kits cleaned plus installed new mukuni needles and seats ,, pop off test 20 ish ,, cleaned tank fuel pick up water seperator fuel shut off valve. add all new fuel lines pulse line and fuel pump has new kit installed, last start up was still not good seen flames in bottom of pto carb,, took out reeds pto reed was open and not seated cnt and mag reeds were seated so cleaned them all and the pto reed flipped it upside down( not sure if this is a no no ????????) but is now seated.,,,, i still have one issue as pto cylinder is 120 and cnt and mag are 150,, I heard this is a no no as too much difference and cyclinders need to be all with in 5 % to run ,,, as low cyclinder will have to much drag to run proper any one know what the diference in cyclinders one can have and the engine would run fine yet ????????????? i ve seen a thread simler but no conclusion just xlint89 told the skeetur the reed must be open and the pressure difference was a concern , ((((((can any one please help ))

Banned User
    +1
    Flipping reeds is generally not a good idea. It could break. After reassembling the engine, did you do a leak down test? Air leaks can cause a lean burn down. 150 compression sounds a little high actually. I think most fuji engines are 120 to 130. Do you have the same heads and head gaskets on all 3 cylinders?

Ck pto crank seal my buddy had a 96 sl 750 that the seal would pop out and make it run funny.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Leak down test for sure .

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277

Flames out the carb is definately some timing issue.

Maybe try the real crank indexing test, not just the redneck method.

baldymgb
    the flames were not coming out the top, flames in the bottom of the carb looking threw the removed air filters, and was visable when it was idling and i open the throttle ,, and i did a crankcase leak down test , i was shocked as it did hold 9 lbs pressure there were a few soap bubles around acouple reed bolts and after tightning held for 6 minutes then i let it out

baldymgb
    i got 2 heads with the number 2 stamped on them(pto and mag ) and one head has the number 1 stamped on it (cnt) but they all have a B stamped on them an all have the same number EC78PW ,, they apeared to be the same concave dome inside

baldymgb
    fire up engine with water hose to cool it ,, after i reinstalled the reeds and carbs,but, i moved the bad pto reed , now it is flipped over and on its seat to the (cntr cyclinder) as before this cycinder was running the coolest ,I put the center reed to the pto ,,,,,, resulted with no flames in any carb throat bottoms ,,, and new compression test ,,,pressure raised to 140 in pto cyclinder as befor was 120 and the cntr is 145 thats where the flipped reed is and mag 150 ,,, just now i have a hot running mag cyclinder had to shut it down after a minute it was getting too hot ,,, I am thinking pour reeds could give you a piston burn down anyone seen that before ??????

baldymgb
    thanks for all the info ,, i have to find a warm garage to continue ,,, plan on doing a proper index check ,,, new reeds and new rings in pto Ill post results as i get done

baldymgb
    Anyone know of good place to get reeds

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Stock or aftermarket?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information