03 fx140 starts by itself!!!!

hey fellas i know this is the 2 stroke section but i'm having a little bit of an electrical gremling here and i need all the help and suggestions i can get. my brother has an 03 yamaha fx140. long story short our security guard told us in the morning that the waverunner started and ran for a few minutes by itself so we thought he was crazy. obviously the battery was dead when i checked it yesterday so i jumped it. so as soon as i hooked up the cables to the ski's cables it started to crank without me hitting the start button. obviously the key wasn't inserted and the start button wasn't touched by anyone. i have an idea of what it could be i think... either the start/stop switch assembly or the starter relay....Now i need some help in testing out the start/stop assembly and any ideas or suggestions in general would be vastly appreciated....thanks again.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Does it start after hitting the stop? U said no lanyard? Everything stock, ie no custom wiring? Do u have a volt meter and wiring diagram? If allstock its possible that the wiring harness from the switch maybe shorted out somewhere where it could be rubbing. Like around the steering column. Really u need to use a voltmeter to investigate with the wiring diagram. These are very hard to diagnose even with pics.

the ski is 100% stock except for an exhaust mod.....it all happened after coming back from a beach day at which the ski behaved flawlessly. then a week later the security guard gave me the news...i just need an insight on how to test the start/ stop switch, i mean i have a basic idea... for example i took the switch apart yesterday and with the cap cover off the switch the landyard switch switches to the ON position (as if you were gong to start the ski) then theoretically you should be able to just hit the green button and start the ski. Now the green button should have power coming to one of the brown wires and when you press it it should complete the circuit and provide power to the other brown wire to start the ski. my result was that when the landyard was on the switch or the cap removed (same action) both brown wires at the green button had power, as if the button was pressed to start the ski. I think my problem is there at the green button i just don't want to go buy parts without being certain...thanks again.

+1
    You need to check all the wiring from one end to the other look for RAT nest and chewed wiring throughout the ski. this time of year they are getting in everything. if you dont find anything unplug the red and brown wire plug coming from the start stop switch if it is still trying to start when you connect the battery pull the electrical box cover off to access the starter relay then unplug the brown wire then check it again if it is still trying to crank replace the starter relay.

Keep in mind something could have shorted and run the battery down and caused the starter relay to stick.

Hope this helps keep us posted.

+1
    Sounds like your ski is possessed

I would definately pull the start/stop switch as a first point and check the wiring down there. After a few years those wires can frey and all sorts of strange things start to happen, I've seen it before.

ok the first thing i'll do is trace the start/stop switch wires to the plug where the connect to the rest of the wiring harness. i'll pull that plug and see if the ski wants to start by itself again. if it does it is probably the starter relay is this what you guys are saying? if it doesn't start by itself and the wiring is in good condition then it must be the actual start/stop switch. i just wanted to clarify. thanks guys

+1
    Yes that is a start to narrow it down but there is another thing it could be but first check these to eliminate problem areas. it sounds like your on the wright track.

i'll get right on it and report back... thanks a lot

well you guys were right... i unhooked the start/stop switch and the ski tried to start itself. so i cracked open the electrical box and voila....lots of water and rust in there. also a foul smell like something was burned... the starter relay was burned so now the mission is to find a new one and slap it in there...and see how it goes...thanks all for the tips...i'll report back when the new piece is installed.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    That's good to hear. Electrical gremlins can be a real headache.

Thread Information