Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar

06 FX HO's inspections?

Okay, I'm thinking of purchasing two black/gold FX HO's. They're 8 hours drive away with each having less than 50 hours on them and haven't been started since July 2010. The owner has purchased new batteries a week ago and I told him not to install them or start the engine. First issue is that I want to coat the cylinder walls with some sort of oil and turn the engine without the plugs in to get some lube in there. Not really sure how to do this yet. Should I just pour oil in it and crank it a few times and let it spit out the plug hole? Second, I will siphon the old fuel out of the tank and put in fresh fuel. I will do this after lubing the cylinder walls in hopes that cranking the starter a few times will purge a little of that old fuel already in the lines. I figure I'll perform the compression test on them after that. Then, I'll put new plugs in. Crank it up and see what happens. If/when I do get them, oil will be changed immediately when I get them home of course. These have not had the cooling line service bulletin done yet. My local Yamaha dealer said they would do that for nothing. Clean and clear titles are in hand. Am I missing anything oh great Greenhulk Jedi's? Thanks

+1
    Sounds like you have a good idea how to get them up and running. I would do a very good visual inspection of each ski from the top to the bottom in side and out. I would pay special attention for any saltwater damage anywhere. hopefully these are fresh water skis and never seen saltwater at all. Tommy Jordan

Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    Yeah, the corrosion issue was one of the first questions I asked. He said that there's absolutely nothing you can see that would suggest that they were ever in salt water. We'll see. Having my current skis for 12 years near the coast without any corrosion speaks to my maintanence practices and knowledge of where to look will should help me.

+1
    a compression test will be a waste of time after you put oil down the cylinders it will actually boost compression giving you false readings.

Thread Information