Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cleaning off after pump void kit

Just put the kit in my GP1300R. What a mess ! Hard to get that sealant off the pump shoe and grate. Anything to get this stuff off after it dries ? Hope the kit is worth the mess ! Lots of marine sealant left over. Any way to save it from drying out in the tube ?

+1
    Clean as you go is the best way as far as saving any left over if it isn't over a half a tube its probably going to dry up. I tried rolling up the end and squeezing whats left to the end and putting the cap on but it doesn't last long.

Boy is it messy. Did I tell you it's messy ?

carb cleaner when its wet, comes right off

+1

Smile

Did you use 3M 5200?

Try this...

www.marineformula.com/

Supposed to be the "stuff" when it comes to removing 5200.

yes, right from a fresh tube. also the shoe is about 1/8" below ( down from ) the ride plate. is this an issue ?

yes the ride plate is higher than the shoe... you did have the ride plate off while doing this,,, yes???
    BUT stop now, step away from the ski and let a professional finish the ski...

you were supposed to clean the excess as you applied torque to the bolts to settle in the shoe... I cant even imagine what it looks like... I hope you at least masked off the area or in the tunnel as well, YIKES!!!

this will cost you 5 mph in speed if done INCORRECTLY, DOH!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    yes the ride plate is higher than the shoe... you did have the ride plate off while doing this,,, yes???
    BUT stop now, step away from the ski and let a professional finish the ski...

you were supposed to clean the excess as you applied torque to the bolts to settle in the shoe... I cant even imagine what it looks like... I hope you at least masked off the area or in the tunnel as well, YIKES!!!

this will cost you 5 mph in speed if done INCORRECTLY, DOH!
    In addition to costing you 5 mph, it will cost you hours of your life trying to get it back out sealed with 5200... With the ski upside down it's still a bitch...

+1
    Is there a step by step on this? I was considering doing this as well, but this threads gotten me nervous.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    Is there a step by step on this? I was considering doing this as well, but this threads gotten me nervous.
    There is probably something on here with pictures that someone has posted. It is not hard to do you just got to take your time and remove the pump assembly and rideplate. the only thing that should be on the rear and underside of the ski would be the transom plate (the last aluminum plate at the rear of the ski). after you plug and 5200 the pump shoe put 5200 between the shoe and ski then torque it in place remove the excess you can use the excess to fill all the cracks in the pump tunnel were they meet. the best way is to smooth level any seem or crack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information