Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Get ski ready for island trip, Bimini

I'm planning next years vacation time and will be working the ski's this winter. I seen where some people have rode from Florida to Bimini, I'm thinking about that trip.

I've seen the west coast guys race off shore about that far so 50 miles shouldn't be a problem. To get the ski's ready I'm going to

Pull the pump on my 250x and upgrade it
    Put wire ties on the hose connections to prevent a blow off.
    Clean and lub every connector.
    I was going to change the oil and sample them for problems.
    I have 65 hours on the 250, supercharger belt??
    The other ski is a STX12F and it's got 180 hours but a rebuilt motor and pump last year.

Test the batteries, take some tools and a set of plugs, oil and filter.(might pop a filter)
    A personal locator beacon and a gps, and some fresh water.

Any ideas or comments welcome.

My wife and I so far looking for more people up for an adventure.

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know the water there or conditions but the distance is no prob I ride 50-60 miles every weekend.
    As for safety gear and supplies this is what I ride with on me not in my ski I believe these things to be the minimum for riding any distance offshore
    in my pack
    Gps
    charged Vhf
    Compass
    Flag
    Whistle
    Flare gun
    Spot locator
    charged Cell phone in dry pack
    Water
    Food usually nuts or protein bar
    Spark plugs
    Wallet cash id etc.
    Zip ties
    Glow sticks
    Extra set of goggles
    Small first aid kit basic
    Gloves
    Extra lanyard
    Duct tape
    Mirror
    Batteries
    Multi tool
    Cold steel tonto top knife

On my ski secondary gps
    Tour coat
    Small tool kit for advanced repairs.

Bimini is about 50 miles off the FL coast I believe . . . I would consider that a "bluewater" ride for a PWC, any PWC. FIRE's list is good. If you really want to do this, I get it. But just remember once you are 10 miles offshore or more, ANY problems encountered you can magnify by 100! And I sure wouldn't do that trek alone!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    For sure bring a first aid kit, and extra fresh water. I would also buy a new battery just before going. Don't go alone. Check all the bolts on the rideplate and intake grate. Be sure you know how to flip if back over if it rolls. I would install a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge, those are the easiest to see if something has gone wrong. Bring jumper cables as a last resort. I would also bring something to snack on just because its always nice to have a break.

Sean

+1
    Good list, never thought of some of those. We are taking two skis, so not riding alone. I'd never go alone.
    We rode in the gulf last summer, great fun.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezl_Dr View Post
    Good list, never thought of some of those. We are taking two skis, so not riding alone. I'd never go alone.
    We rode in the gulf last summer, great fun.
    Try to get 3 skis minimum you and two others. Because if you have a break down you will need both skis. Ask me how I know. we have towed skis back 25 miles from Catalina it's slow going at 5-10 mph. And just remember as I stated above all those items fit in my ride pack on me. They do no good if you fall off your ski and can not get back to it. This is a common mistake of new long distance ocean riders. have fun.

+1
    Only 1 major thing left off the lists that I can think of: Float Plan. Let your family or friends at home know when & where you're going w/ETAs, GPS co-ords and phone numbers. Call them when you depart/arrive both ways. You may also want to check w/your local USCG about filing a float plan.

BTW, I have no experience w/EPRBs, but I heard once that "unregistered" EPRB signals are not monitored or addressed. IDK if that is true or not... Good luck w/your ride.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I have done this trip. I recommend FUEL FUEL FUEL! You think the ocean is flat by looking out of the inlet and then are faced with 6ft waves offshore in the gulfstream.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezl_Dr View Post
    I'm planning next years vacation time and will be working the ski's this winter. I seen where some people have rode from Florida to Bimini, I'm thinking about that trip.

I've seen the west coast guys race off shore about that far so 50 miles shouldn't be a problem. To get the ski's ready I'm going to

Pull the pump on my 250x and upgrade it
    Put wire ties on the hose connections to prevent a blow off.
    Clean and lub every connector.
    I was going to change the oil and sample them for problems.
    I have 65 hours on the 250, supercharger belt??
    The other ski is a STX12F and it's got 180 hours but a rebuilt motor and pump last year.

Test the batteries, take some tools and a set of plugs, oil and filter.(might pop a filter)
    A personal locator beacon and a gps, and some fresh water.

Any ideas or comments welcome.

My wife and I so far looking for more people up for an adventure.
    maybe yellow key in case you loose orange one.

+1
    I didnt read thru all the posts. Im sure theres tons of items listed previously so including to that stuff. File a float plan with someone you know that has access to a boat and also to your family. Make a good tow rope, dont use a premade one with plastic hooks it will break. The longest spark plug wire made for your PWC so it can reach any plug from any coil. I carry some fishing gear; and hand line, lures and assorted hooks.
    But 60 miles is pushing it without any type of added fuel cells. If you wander off your planned line a little its going to be alot at the end of the leg.
    Practice being accurate with your GPS's, two mounted and one extra on your person. Get to know them like you know your cell phone. The quicker you can fire off your position the sooner you can be rescued. Hopefully that doesnt happen.
    I carry most of my vip stuff on my person. Mount a bag at the rear that you can access it from the water if you end up hurt and cant climb back on.
    Big thing is that youll have to fine tune what you need after a few trips.
    Good Luck. Maybe we'll see you out here on the west coast to race in the Triple Crown Offshore races.
    It will give you a chance to carry everthing and go full throttle for 50-60 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information