Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FZR/FZS Washdown

Guys

Having read the forums, and discovering a lot of conflicting information, I would like to get people’s views on the correct wash down procedure for offshore, salt water riding.
    I have read that you shouldn’t hose down the engine, then I have read that you should to remove the salt etc, do's and don'ts of Inox, WD40, etc.

Having come from an old 2 stroke, where the engine got covered in salt water, and it was washed down each time with fresh water (with Saltway as well), then left to drain/dry... Once dry, Inox was used to cover the engine.

It appears that there are different 'sections' within the FZR, as in the rear section (where the battery is), there seems to be water sitting which doesn’t drain out the drain plugs at the rear, however the engine 'section' appears dry...

Anyway, what are peoples recommendations?

Thanks
    David

I actually drive home from the ramp with the seats off and by the time I get home the motor has cooled off enough to wash the motor. I first take the plastic supercharger cover and rinse the motor, trunk and rear exhaust and battery area down with water, then rinse it with salt-away. Once that is done I will flush the ski using salt-away and wash the exterior and then dry the ski inside and out and spray CRC656 on the entire motor area, back compartment and pump area. I leave the seats off the ski tilted downward to drain any water they may have in them.

+1
    I've been riding offshore in salt for 10+ years, and my skis are in top notch condition.

Here's what I do....

1. Pull the ski out of the water and run it for ~10 secs to get any salt water out of the water box.
    2. Flush for 5 minutes with fresh water
    3. Flush for 1 minute with salt-away
    4. Hose down the rear compartment very good with salt-away. There is nothing back there to come loose, so spray it down good.
    5. Hose down engine compartment with salt-away. Go easy with the hose, you want to lightly spray the electrical connectors, but you can spray harder on the exhaust manifold, SC, and IC.
    6. Drain all water out of hull
    7. soak up any remaining water with towels, shop vac, etc
    8. Spray everything down with Fluid Film (or equivalent, not WD40)
    9. Leave the ski with the seats off to dry out in the sun for a few hours

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I've been riding offshore in salt for 10+ years, and my skis are in top notch condition.

Here's what I do....

1. Pull the ski out of the water and run it for ~10 secs to get any salt water out of the water box.
    4. Hose down the rear compartment very good with salt-away. There is nothing back there to come loose, so spray it down good.
    5. Hose down engine compartment with salt-away. Go easy with the hose, you want to lightly spray the electrical connectors, but you can spray harder on the exhaust manifold, SC, and IC.

Excellent procedure except for one thing. Do you wash down the engine after you flush it. I ask because I have heard that the rapid cooling off the head could cracking. So what I do is salt-away the engine bay first, take a leaf blower and get rid of any water on the engine then flush the ski. That's just what I do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    Excellent procedure except for one thing. Do you wash down the engine after you flush it. I ask because I have heard that the rapid cooling off the head could cracking. So what I do is salt-away the engine bay first, take a leaf blower and get rid of any water on the engine then flush the ski. That's just what I do.
    Very good point. And no, I do not. I actually wash the ski after flushing it and then I wash the engine. I make sure it's not hot before washing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    Extreamly good point and i was never aware of this.... I've always hosed the whole engine with plenty of water while its been running and hot (and get steam).... i flush normally about a hour or so after riding

Better stop that sharpish then!

so how do people go about flushing aftermarket intercoolers?

ian

Thanks Guys - the only product we have (that I am aware of) here that is like Fluid Film is Inox - however this makes some rubber expand...

so I assume from this, the front compartment is sealed, and doesnt need to be washed down after each ride? Also, is is common that the rear compartment doesnt drain overly well. It appears to be it drains 100% by the pump, which isnt able to get everything out.

Cheers
    David

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glazzanz View Post
    Thanks Guys - the only product we have (that I am aware of) here that is like Fluid Film is Inox - however this makes some rubber expand...

so I assume from this, the front compartment is sealed, and doesnt need to be washed down after each ride? Also, is is common that the rear compartment doesnt drain overly well. It appears to be it drains 100% by the pump, which isnt able to get everything out.

Cheers
    David
    I still wash the front compartment, I always get some salt splash in there. The bilge of the ski should drain fairly well, but having a little water back there after riding is 100% normal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post

Here's what I do....

Mike,
    Whats the issue with the WD40? I have been using it, should I look at using something else?
    Thanks
    Glen

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Mike,
    Whats the issue with the WD40? I have been using it, should I look at using something else?
    Thanks
    Glen
    http://www.lanotec.com.au/
    WD40 ,inox are mineral based products , So it can affect some rubber products.

FF or if in Australia you should use Lanotec green or blue tin ..............It is shit loads better than Inox or wd40 AS IT BUILDS AND DOESNT wear off like the others do ........

Waz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information