Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Separate water supply for RIVA IC

i have been reading about a couple of members who have put a separate water supply for their ic, so i have a couple of questions.

1.what are the benefits?

2.what size of i.d.? (because i know stock rxp has a yellow restrictor)

3.if i do it should i remove the yellow restrictor for the water that is going to run thru the engine?

+1
    I don't see any benefit whatsoever. You don't want to remove the yellow restrictor as you run a risk of overpressuring the IC. The water flow, as intended works extremely well.

(Pump to IC, IC to exhaust manifold)

i thought so, because not everybody is doing it.

weres this yellow restricter is that stock.

+1
    Yes, its in between the pump and pump shoe. Its a yellow plastic piece with a metal washer with hole in it.

thanks jerry, if testing innercooler for leaks how much presure off air does it take to test one, how much pressure do you think the water pushes thru the innercooler.thanks.

+1
    Elliot, you want to test it with water pressure. At high speed the IC can see as much as 60 PSI of water pressure.

When i check my IC's for leaks i block one fitting off and then hook the other fitting to the garden hose which is about 35 psi in my area. I then look in the air part of the IC to look for water running in. So far i have never had a problem.

I have to disagree Jerry!, The benefit for me is independant cooling with a strainer installed to keep the IC core from clogging which most of us have experienced. The water being prewarmed up from the IC if set-up with the stock hose from the pump, this doesn`t occur with the seperate cooling. You don`t have to mess with the factory water reducer disc and you can regulate or build your own restrictor to maintain the correct pressure to prevent core leak/burst.
    Maybe this won`t work for some, maybe where the water temps are really warm, but I can say here in NJ where the water gets cool quickly I can feel that the IC core is much much cooler during the complete riding season...

If you answered no bc there is no performance gain, I have to disagree again bc cooler IC core temps does mean better overall performance.

Jer, our city water is 50psi here...

Although I have yet to experience heat fade here...PR...

Here is a pic of the yellow water reducer disc...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-11-2008 at 11:14 PM.

+1
    How in the world do you think you are getting cooler water to the IC with seperate cooling?

Water flows from the pump to the IC and from the IC to the exhaust.

It doesn't flow to the exhaust and then to the IC if that's what you are thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    How in the world do you think you are getting cooler water to the IC with seperate cooling?

Water flows from the pump to the IC and from the IC to the exhaust.

It doesn't flow to the exhaust and then to the IC if that's what you are thinking?
    no no no , that`s not what I`m saying , I`m syaing that one benefit is that your not preheating the water from the IC core when doing WOT runs, the seperate system just draws it`s own water and doesn`t pass it onto the exhaust, #2 I prefer to have it seperated bc if there is a failure in the IC core and i catch it right away, I can kill the waterflow in an emergency and still ride the ski back to the dock. Sorry for the confusion, hand was typing faster than brain...

why? don`t you like my set-up???...PR...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information