IceDragln

Corrosion from Lake? Need help!

Hey Everyone,

In prior seasons, I have used my 2009 RXTX in saltwater, and have parked on a floating dock to keep it out of the water. After each run, I would hose down the ski with freshwater, and apply XP lube to the rear. I did not ever have corrosion issues this way after 2 seasons.

This year, I kept my ski in a freshwater lake, and did not have the floating dock. After every few runs, I would spray the rear with XP lube lightly, but when docked and not in use, it was floating and just tied off to the slip. It wasnt removed from the water until today, when I took it out to get winterized.

When I took it out and did a walkaround, I noticed the expected algae on the sides of the fiberglass near the waterline, no big deal. When I checked out my rear and rideplate, I was shocked! I had what looked like small barnacles over all METAL parts on underside of the ski...the ride plate, the intake grate, and even the metal linkages inside the rear by the jet exhaust.

What could possibly have caused this? The marina said they haven't seen this before, and they think it is a form of corrosion, but we could not agree exactly what it was. We were able to scrape some off with our fingernails and reveal the aluminum below, but it really fights you to come off. The marina is going to go over everything with a wire brush by hand to clean it up.

I'm thinking of buying another floating dock so I dont have to deal with this again, but the marina said I might need a zinc plate attached, so it attracts the corrosion instead of the other metal parts. Doesnt Sea Doo expect people to dock these in water...why wouldnt they have a zinc plate on the bottom already?

1) is this safe to clean the ride plate and intake grate with a wire brush to remove the build up?
    2) what caused this and how do I prevent it next season?
    3) Does anyone have zinc plates on their ski, and will this prevent the issue ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm really upset over this and hoping it can be repaired without too much money or replacement parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	258325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	258324  

It looks more like some sort of marine growth more than it does corrosion from the pictures. If it is in fact corrosion, it could be electrolysis from another boat with bad wiring at the marina. There should be a zinc on the ride plate. How did that look?

Yes; there is a zinc bobbin attached to the top of the ride plate; you need to take a look at it to see what it looks like. Just because you have the ski in fresh water doesn't mean there is not nasty shit in it. "Fresh" water can have all kinds of minerals and acids that can cause all kinds of effects on metals that spend time in the water.

+1
    doesnt look like corrosion to me, +1 to 8isenough, im pretty sure its electrolysis
    either way, never had anything like it, but hope it wont be too expensive to solve for you..
    hope i helped.

+1
    That's electrolysis. Slow over time. The aluminum is eaten with it. The pump shows the real story. Someone has bad wiring and it is a minimal charge. Meter the water with the + side while grounded to the dock. You will get a reading. It has happened here before. It wasn't a boat, rather the dock wiring. Good luck!

IceDragln
    Thanks guys, Ill get out a multimeter and check the dock/water for current. The marina called me today and told me they got it all cleaned up, and only charged me $100. Im not able to pick up the ski until tomorrow, and I will talk with the techs more about what happened (the service writer said the notes said that they cleaned the barnacles off the bottom)

If this is infact electroloysis, could I hold the marina that I dock at responsible? Should I move to a different marina for docking next season?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    wow $100 dude you got ripped off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDragln View Post
    Thanks guys, Ill get out a multimeter and check the dock/water for current. The marina called me today and told me they got it all cleaned up, and only charged me $100. Im not able to pick up the ski until tomorrow, and I will talk with the techs more about what happened (the service writer said the notes said that they cleaned the barnacles off the bottom)

If this is infact electroloysis, could I hold the marina that I dock at responsible? Should I move to a different marina for docking next season?
    Yes and No! I would just keep it out of the water!

+1
    i'm sure a pressure washer would clean that right up.

Thread Information