Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious - @ how many hours to quit modding/investing $$ ?

My 05 rxp has 210hrs now (the seadoo motor itself has 130). I have plans to spend a few more hundred here and there over the winter and who knows how much next year etc.

So, Im wondering how many hours these RXPs are "good for" before we should just stop the modding and sell it for a younger ski....before getting stuck with an old model full of hours and money tied up in mods that wont sell for much.

My ski is still relatively young and still in great shape, but a coworker made an interesting comment to me recently. I mentioned how my ski ran hard and flawless all summer in the heat and how i was basically proud of it. His response was "now's the time to sell it!"

So, how many hours are some of us getting out of these 05 hulls, blocks and all other parts before we end up replacing every part at least once?
    What are the opinions on this?

Is a 210hr boat with a 120hr seadoo motor worth modding for 2-3 more years +, or should it be gotten rid of "while the get'n is good"?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    My 05 rxp has 210hrs now (the seadoo motor itself has 130). I have plans to spend a few more hundred here and there over the winter and who knows how much next year etc.

So, Im wondering how many hours these RXPs are "good for" before we should just stop the modding and sell it for a younger ski....before getting stuck with an old model full of hours and money tied up in mods that wont sell for much.

My ski is still relatively young and still in great shape, but a coworker made an interesting comment to me recently. I mentioned how my ski ran hard and flawless all summer in the heat and how i was basically proud of it. His response was "now's the time to sell it!"

So, how many hours are some of us getting out of these 05 hulls, blocks and all other parts before we end up replacing every part at least once?
    What are the opinions on this?

Is a 210hr boat with a 120hr seadoo motor worth modding for 2-3 more years +, or should it be gotten rid of "while the get'n is good"?

It depends on how you care for and how you ride your ski. I have 214 hrs and my compression is in the upper 140's on all 3 and have a 5% leakdown. I religiously change the oil, plugs, etc and constantly maintain it. I don't run 9 miles wide open. I go out and cruise and avg 6-6200 rpms. 93% of it's life has been spent in that range per the computer. I don't ride hard, but I like having the speed/power there at my disposal. Another guy I ride with here has an 04 that is modded with basically a stage 3 minus the rear exhaust and riva ECU and VTU. He has nearly 680 hrs on his and he cares for it the same as I do and obviously rides more than I do. It is all in how you care for it. John (9SecZ06) has/had or knows someone with 750 hrs and running strong and well.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    He has nearly 680 hrs on his and he cares for it the same as I do and obviously rides more than I do. John (9SecZ06) has/had or knows someone with 750 hrs and running strong and well.

WTF!? 680 and 750hrs!!!

Yea, I change my plugs every few trips out (10-12ish hrs I guess) and I use the seadoo oil from the stealership every 20ish or so hrs. Riding only in fresh water has been in my favor too I guess.
    I had a '96 Polaris SLX that I bought new....eventually rebuilt the top half a few times (probably shouldnt have been using the Wiseco slugs maybe)....well, i kept pouring my heart and few bucks I had into it and after just 3 years of riding, i basically gave it away - while in pieces and a stress-cracked hull. Not sure I want to, or should, go that far with the RXP

at 220 hours i just installed at et68-140 :O

let you know how that works out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtuned View Post
    at 220 hours i just installed at et68-140 :O

let you know how that works out!
    I just installed an ET 137 at 210 hrs.

+1
    Trade you for my 98 GTXL with around 400hrs on it !

I'm looking for a newer four stroke and your ski is something I would buy. With proper maintenance I would expect to get 5 to 6 years out of it without major issues. If you have the urge for a new ski then only a new ski will fix that.

+1
    My 2005 has 300 hours on it now, 200 at Stage 3+ level. Just checked compression last week and had 155 - 160 in all 3 holes, with cam closer to retarded than advanced. Shows 170 - 175 at full advance.

Take care of the basics, don't beat the daylights out of the machine and I think most will last a LOT of hours.

+1
    Here's another thought on when to quit..... If you are married and get threatened with divorce, might be a good idea to slow down a little or use other methods for payment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Here's another thought on when to quit..... If you are married and get threatened with divorce, might be a good idea to slow down a little or use other methods for payment.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    My 2005 has 300 hours on it now, 200 at Stage 3+ level. Just checked compression last week and had 155 - 160 in all 3 holes, with cam closer to retarded than advanced. Shows 170 - 175 at full advance.

Take care of the basics, don't beat the daylights out of the machine and I think most will last a LOT of hours.
    Nice looking numbers overall. I take care of the basics for the most part I believe....but i do beat it up on top speed a little
    If I remember correctly, advancing the timing is better for holeshot/low end punch, and retarding is better for top end power? Shit its been so long. So just curious, where does seadoo set the timing at?

Nope....no wife here. Been watching my friends get divorced one-by-one instead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information