Question 2000 Sea-Doo XPL - Running On?

After saving for aaages, I collected my 2000 model XP Limited this morning after a brief sea trial.
    It hadn't been used for nearly 18 months & all seeemed to go well on the equally as old fuel.
    The previous owner recently removed the Proks & re-fitted smaller slow speed jets - along with re connecting the accelerator pumps.
    I was advised that I may have to adjust the throttle cable slightly, as it idles at 2000rpm in the water. I thought nothing of this...
    I got home and proceeded to flush it on the hose, when the ski seemed to have a fit & run on!!!
    The RPM's started slowly increasing all the way to the limiter.
    I frantically tapped the thumb throttle (it kept bouncing off the limiter), tried holding the stop button (kept bouncing), pulled the lanyard (kept bouncing) and then I turned the fuel off, let it run dry until it stalled!!!
    Major brown undie moment - considering I'd owned it for an hour!
    I had a play with the idle adjustment screw and ran it another couple of times on the hose & it didn't run on again.
    I really would've thought that if you cut the ignition, the engine should stall?
    I know if something runs very lean, it can slightly run on, but this was insane!
    I'm thinking it could be:
    Old fuel?
    Corroded carb internals?
    Oil pump injected a mass amount causing it to diesel?

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Daz.

It is running on because it is too lean. When it does this in the future, hold the throttle wide open and it will stall. I would advise a compression test, as you could have done some damage. Something is wrong with the carbs, but I am not there, so can't tell you what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FAT BOY View Post
    It is running on because it is too lean. When it does this in the future, hold the throttle wide open and it will stall. I would advise a compression test, as you could have done some damage. Something is wrong with the carbs, but I am not there, so can't tell you what it is.
    Not quite true. It ran away because the idle speed was too high. The 951 carbs are built so that off-idle is very lean. If you have it set at 3,000 RPM or higher out of the water, most of them will runaway in a short time on the hose. In fact, a number of shops have found that setting it slightly below spec, say 2,800 or so on the hose, seems to be better to keep them from running away.

Running away rarely causes any damage, except to scare the hell out of you when it happens. Either just give it full throttle or pull the choke and it will stop.

However, it is always a good idea to go thru carbs and clean them out, replace gray fuel lines, etc on older 2 strokes just to be sure that you don't have carb issues that can aggravate the lean condition.

Thanks Gents!
    Sea Dood - after I adjusted the idle to the manual spec' of 3000rpm, it didn't run away again on the hose.
    I removed the intake snorkels & sprayed fogging oil in to the flame arrestor - hoping this would lubricate any sticky components in the carbs (I hope this is ok?).
    I spent a little more on buying what I thought to be a mechanically perfect ski & am hesitatnt to go paying a shop hundreds to diagnose nothing!
    I'll keep monitoring it & thanks again for the advice!

Daz.

It would be rare to find a mechanically perfect ski that had 1) just been tinkered with and 2) has been sitting for 18 months.

i'd definitely drain that tank and fill it back up with fresh gas, I'm assuming you've already done that by now. If I knew the gas was that old personally i wouldn't have even done the sea trial. and although its a pita, removing the carbs & going thru them can't hurt, assuming you know what your doing and your careful.

And runaway's sure are scary as hell, happened to me one time a couple of years back and scared the hell out of me , but fortunately I had read something about this in a forum and knew what to do, which is why the forums are so super !

Spent a few hours on the water yesterday & the ski performs flawlessly.
    The idle is perfect in the water but quite irregular on the hose...
    Some times it is bang on 3000RPM & other times it is at 2000RPM?
    I presume this is nothing to be worried about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340939_10150388580813592_555658591_8146236_747137864_o.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	258608  

The carbs need removing cleaning and probably a new carb kit fitted.

The run away was a problem caused by a something clogged / damaged in the carbs. It will never happen on the water but may happen again on the hose. If it does pull the choke. Very little chance of run away causing damge.

I had the very same thing happen and it's nothing to do with needle or throttle adjustments.

There are filters in the carbs and if they get blocked your ski will run really well right up until the point where the motor blows.

My 98 xp runs a very constant idle rev on the hose

Quote Originally Posted by southernflip View Post
    The carbs need removing cleaning and probably a new carb kit fitted.

The run away was a problem caused by a something clogged / damaged in the carbs. It will never happen on the water but may happen again on the hose. If it does pull the choke. Very little chance of run away causing damge.

I had the very same thing happen and it's nothing to do with needle or throttle adjustments.

There are filters in the carbs and if they get blocked your ski will run really well right up until the point where the motor blows.

My 98 xp runs a very constant idle rev on the hose
    I agree that the carbs might need cleaning, but you are very wrong about the runaway. As I said before, the 951 engines, if tuned properly, will often runaway if the idle is set too high. This is because they are jetted very lean at off idle. (this is why these carbs have an accelerator pump...)

Now, he could have a carb-clogging problem causing the uneven idle, but this has nothing to do with the fact that many 951's will runaway due to high idle.

I had a chat with a local 951 guru and he advised me that because I'm running a Remapped Mpem ("Genuine Rotax advanced curve out of Canada"), this could have aided in the runaway condition.
    I only found out today that the carbs had been pulled apart, cleaned & re-jetted prior to me collecting it (has had an hours use since).
    Finding this info out has been a weight lifted off my shoulders, as I'm broke after buying this! :-p
    Thanks again for the advice, fellas.

Thread Information