Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 GP1200R Questions and Help!

Hello,

First, I'm super impressed with all the DIY's here. I'm also super imtimidated with going to work on my ski and nee some help. I own two other yamaha waverunners that are in great shape that were recntly purchased. So, this one can be a project.

I have a 2000 GP1200R that I really like! I purchased it with a package to get another ski and double trailer with the intent to sell it...then I kinda fell for this ski! The ski probably has not been on the water for a full year. It's in great looking condition. The waverunner has 58.6 hours and I was told it had a knock when started. I have not started it, but did some work on it yesterday. The #1 cylinder had 10psi cold WOT, #2 had 110psi, #3 had 110psi. I really like this ski and I'm interesed in a project for the winter. I have raced and worked on cars, but never any motorcycle or marine application. PS...I'm not rich, but can afford a decent project if it makes sense to me. Thanks for any help. I'm near Richmond, VA, don't know about shops in the area?

1. What should I do next?
    2. Can I do a top-end on #1 cylinder and go riding?
    3. Full top end with 3 new cylinders?
    4. Complete SBT engine?
    5. Sell it and enjoy my other skis as this will be a headache/money pit?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

+1
    pull the head off and jug #1 and find out the problem for low compression. Could be as simple as new piston, cyl, and gaskets. Or could have metal in lower case or damage to crank. And once u find the damage I need to find out the cause, a lean carb, wrong plugs, oil line comming off, etc. And if u need parts cylinders, pistons, wave eaters, and stuff let me know I will make u a good deal. I need this stuff out of the garage. Good luck with the project.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    i agree with ken just get into it. Wont cost u much but time. Once u see what is actually going on then you can really decide what your game plan is. These skis are especially pron to the oil lines coming off at the carbs. Look to see if there is oil in the bottom of the hull and look on each carb to verify the oil lines are attached. Another issue with these skis is the power valves dropping and hitting the piston. I personally love mine but you definatly have to take care of these issues. Take pics and post them here people are happy to help. Good Luck

Pics

OK, I got my tool box out and went to work. I did stop here though. Do I need to continue to find out if my crank is bad? Do I need to send my crank out? Thanks for everyone's help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	238.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	258493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	237.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	258494  

And, yes! There is oil in the bottom of the hull! But, it appears that all oil lines are attached to the carb. Green lines with wire ties...correct? I attempted to pull #1 jug, but the bolts from the exhaust are almost welded in...is this an indicater to a problem? I'm afraid that I'm going to wring a bolt off. The very bottom bolt came out with a fight, but the other two are putting up a great fight. The cylinder in #1 looks gray with no oil residue, the other two are a goldish color with oil streaks. The #1 cylinder does not apear to have damage, no pitting. Just seems to have gotted really hot! The power valve is not damaged, I do not think it was the problem. Thanks again for any help.
    Last edited by llewis33; 11-10-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: additional information...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by llewis33 View Post
    And, yes! There is oil in the bottom of the hull!
    Ok well try and follow you oil lines on the carbs. The oil pump is on the front of the motor about half way down. U will need to take the ehaust off to see it and should probly switch to premix and but a block off kit in it. Also did you find any pieces of metal loose in the cylinder? Did you drop a powervalve? To check to see if its still there you can pull the little powervalve cover in the cylinder side. You will also need to remove to cylinder itself to remove piston and then you will see if there is metal in the bottom end or if there is damage from running that cyl without oil. It almost looks like it ran really lean and melted the sides of piston or a piece of rind or valve was rattleing around in there. Take more pics of ur other piston tops as well so we can see piston wash. You should remove the carbs and rebuild them aswell.

More Pics

Pics of #2 and #3 cylinders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	258502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	258503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	242.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	258501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	258504  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by llewis33 View Post
    Pics of #2 and #3 cylinders
    Definetly lean on 2 and 3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information