Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offshore FZS

Question Offshore FZS

Hi All

Looking for some suggestions on how to increase the performance of an FZS ski, for ocean riding. Ideally I would like to get the ski in to the 70mph range, however of greater importance is holeshot and acceleration.

Most of my reading on the forums appears to be focused more at lake/river conditions, where flat or flatish waters are generally obtainable.

Currently, the ski is standard, with the exception of:
    - Intake Grate
    - Ribbon removal
    - Exhaust Mod (Tommy)
    - Riva BOV

Ideas that have been given to me so far:
    - Riva Intake
    - Bore Reduction Nozzle to 85mm

In its current state, from idle to WOT results in a moment of go no where, for it takes off – engine revs, water is passing through the jetunit etc.

Any ideas, with pros and cons would be great

Thanks

+1
    I am in the same boat as you, I do most of my riding off shore on my FZR, but a few speed mods never hurt.

Boring the reduction nozzle will help a little on your cavitation/ holeshot problem, but what you really need is to pitch your prop because you on the limiter with your mods I assume. I opted for an after market prop and had very good results with the skat 13/20, but pitching the stock prop should net you similar results if you do it right.

Take a look at the speed database thread, it has great info and you can see what other guys around the 70mph mark have for mods. For comparison, with the stock rideplate and the mods in my sig (not the vx plate) I was running 71 all day.

+1
    What intake grate do you have?

Hi

I have the Worx Intake Grate

Thanks

+1
    you are going to need a reflash and a bigger boost wheel if you want to get into the 70's off shore. a ride plate will be a must on a fz. you may want to consider an intercooler also to keep the boost temp down, a skat prop will help with cavitation. there is lots of options open to you just depends on your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Boring the reduction nozzle will help a little on your cavitation/ holeshot problem, but what you really need is to pitch your prop because you on the limiter with your mods I assume. I opted for an after market prop and had very good results with the skat 13/20, but pitching the stock prop should net you similar results if you do it right.
    Thanks Mike - on pitching the prop, although I have read your post on the dyi approach, I'm not sure I'd been keen on that, and I'm not sure I can find anyone local to do it. With the skat, I recal reading its actual pitch was different to what was stated yea? ie you had to pitch it correctly? Am I right in thinking the boring would decrease top end (no major really).

Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    you are going to need a reflash and a bigger boost wheel if you want to get into the 70's off shore. a ride plate will be a must on a fz. you may want to consider an intercooler also to keep the boost temp down, a skat prop will help with cavitation. there is lots of options open to you just depends on your budget.
    Razzie, open to all options at this stage, I guess this is an information gathering stage, where hopefully some ideas will flow... I had assumed the ride plate would be more suited to flat waters than the choppy nature of the ocean - however keen to get an understand of people experience here.

+1
    as i understand it on the fz's when you gey into the 70's with a stock ride plate they can buck you off. there are a number of people who have had serious injuries as a result of this, like you say , do some research and decide what is best for you and your riding style.

Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    as i understand it on the fz's when you gey into the 70's with a stock ride plate they can buck you off. there are a number of people who have had serious injuries as a result of this, like you say , do some research and decide what is best for you and your riding style.
    Freaky - I had thought that the safety requirement was for the intake grate - but I will do some research on that! Thanks for the heads up!

+1
    I think he means INTAKE GRATE

+1
    your right i did mean intake grate. a friend of mine bought one last summer and got bucked in his first hour and broke his ankle. not seen him ride it since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information