Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carb Q's

+1

Carb Q's

Why is it that with the 2 ski's I have bought (96 sl900&95 SLT750) when I am servicing the carbs on the 750 and try to take out the valve body assm screws they are already stripped or I end up doing it to one of them even with a hand screwdriver. My 900 had similar screws that I had the same problem with. Is this from them not being serviced properly? I just got the rebuild kits from zigler and I thought I would replace all parts and clean everything, but since i cant get these screws out I guess I will work around it.

+1
    buy alittle hand impact driver they work great

+1
    "IF" some one has bugered up the screw heads, you may need to drill them ( just the head).

you really should get these out, as the jets are under this valve body, and should be cleaned. there is also the small, clear valve you should replace.

next time, here is a tip ( they way i do it here, with no troubles everytime).

set the carb(s) on the bench, make sure the body is properly supported. use a #2 driver bit, or a #2 screw driver that has a metal shank ALL the way through. with this, give each screw head a GOOD smack with a hammer. the screws will then come right out.

zig

+1
    The carbs are still off the ski so I will have to drill out 1 at least. I will give this a try before I reassemble. Thanks guys!!

+1
    There is a very nice screw xtractor set at H O Medepot for about $20 that will get just about everything out. Comes with the drill points and the reverse threaded extractors. I had to do many due to rusty screws......... (replaced them with SS)

You can get the impact driver at H O Medepot as well.....

Banned User
    +1
    I use my 18v Makita impact driver and it works every time.......just a light touch on the trigger so you dont break anything. You want the impact force to do the work.

+1
    Galvanic corrosion created by the presence of water in the carb is hte reason this happens. The carb body is aluminum and the screws are steel.....which is a bad combo with water around. Lugs is right, a hand impact driver is best friend. Also, it's a good idea to use a butane torch and heat the screws before you try taking them out. This will help break the corrosion and then when you hit the screws with the impact they'll pop out easy.

Definitely get in there and replace everything with the parts Zigler sent you in the kits. If those screws are that stuck it means there could be other gunk in the carbs. A complete clean and rebuild is the only answer.

KJ

+1
    That impact driver also takes out the 3 stator screws easily as well. A must have in the tool box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    That impact driver also takes out the 3 stator screws easily as well. A must have in the tool box.
    Any idea where to get an extension? The bit is too short to reach past the windings on the stator without the impact body hitting them??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information