what to do now/1200gpr

posted similar threat last wk. crank shot, rear cylinder/piston done. raised quandry-replace engine? since everyone is so emotionally charged (both negative & positive) over sbt, what are my other options? I live in southeast florida. I don't think I want to go sbt route as I (a)want to keep the vessel long run & (b)don't want to continually use sbt warranty, & (c)if I did want to sell it would hurt value knowing sbt rebuilt is in it. Therefore-where do I go from here? Saw a couple of other places that rebuild (watercraft engine technologies) but wondering if I should use what is good in motor & replace crank, cylinder, piston, rings & whatever else I find. Probably put more into it $$ but at least it won't have scarlett letters(sbt) on it. Although 10 yrs old, in mint condition (other than engine). Anybody have experience with this or any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. I use this (stock)waverunner to get my girls out of the house. They both have some special needs, & although I have boats for fishing with my sons, I REALLY want to keep this for my girls. P.S. I am single mom-but have lots of mechanical experience(I replaced jug/piston/rings last year when same cylinder blew due to oil line coming off). Many thanks for suggestions.

+1
    A quality rebuild using quality parts, gaskets, and assembly techniques/practices is what you need to keep your ski going for as long as you want it. Research and do all the reliability mods you can find. It might cost you some $$$ to do it right, but thats what you'll need to do to keep the ski around for a long time.
    To save some money, you can try to come up with some good used parts.
    And when its all said and done, spend the time and money to inspect and maintain the ski. Its cheaper/easier to say, rebuild the carbs every few years then it is to do a top end. Use good quality, fresh gas (especially if you can't avoid using gas w/out ethanol in).

Can you indulge me more about "reliability mods"? Somebody told me cranks can be rebuilt/how reliable? I agree about carbs. I just did that on one of my boats that has 1996 Evinrude 48 special. So easy to work on. Cleaned them up, new fuel lines, new fuel/water seperator. Back in water yesterday. Purrs like the kitten she is. I will be doing carbs on ski, but right now secondary to the bigger elephant in room(crank, cylinder, piston). Coincidentally, I run reg gas in 3 boats & ski. Costs me a fortune at $4.25/gallon but pay me now or pay me later type thing. My son(age 11), after running new fuel lines 2 days ago, wants to do this year's science project on fuel eating gas lines. I was explaining to him how they get eaten up by one fuel & not as bad the other. Gotta teach 'em young. Further input appreciated "cutlass".

+1
    Unfortunately I'm not a GPR1200 expert so I can't really give you much info on reliability mods for that ski. Every ski has its own "needs" for reliability upgrades. But luckily those mods are ALL over this site. If you can find the time, do a little research on reliability mods for the GPR.

+1
    Reliability doesn't come so much from mods more from maintenance. Make sure you have new fuel and oil ines, premix may help with reliability as well in the sense that oil lines don't need to be changed, and if they accidentally come off you don't suddenly starve your 2 stroke of oil (probably more common than failed oil pumps). Your carbs must be serviced and maintained/adjusted to spec - this is a must. Ensure your water cooling system is free of any blockages as they keep your engine at operating temp. If running stock power valves, get a set of wave eaters. If rebuilding your engine keep the stock head for stock compression. All performance mods can have a bearing on reliability, that's the nature of any motor sport so bear that in mind when thinking about performance.

+1
    Contact WFO out of Houston for any good used parts like cylinders, pistons. He is very good with the GPR's. I am certain that he sells wave eater clips. They are a must for a GPR with the mechanical power valves

Also, look in the classifieds on this forum for anything else that you might need for a rebuild. www.boats.net out of Florida are close to you for any new parts..... they have good priceing.

thanks to all..I will keep you posted

Thread Information