XLT 1200 rebuild ?

Hi All,
    Iím new to wave runners but not to boating. I just picked up a 2005 xlt 1200 PV with a blown engine. The machine is in very good condition, the original owner lent the machine to a friend who put gas in the oil tank, he got it back not running. I tore the engine down and found a spun rod bearing at the crank end. No other visible damage.
    Questions
    1. Iím going to replace the crank, which includes bearing and rods, the wrist pin bearings and the rings. And all gaskets and seals. Has any one used a rebuilt crank from SBT or should I buy a new one?
    2. Would their be any issues towing the ski behind my boat? I think I read somewhere their could be a problem with water getting into engine when not running.
    3. Since the engine is completely apart should I replace / rebuild any other item? I am going to replace all oil lines and use pinch type clamps.
    4. Break in procedure?

Thanks

John

+1
    John,

1) If you're going to keep the ski I would go with OEM crank or send yours to crankworks.

2) Do not tow behind boat.

3) clamps are good

4)How many hours on it? May want to swap pistons since you're there. Search for break-in procedures.

Thanks for the reply. I was told the machine has around 60 hours on it. Since its apart I don't know how to get the actual hours out of the dash. I do plan on keeping so I guess I'll go OEM. The machine has been sitting about a year now, think I should do anything with the carbs? The pistons look good, I still see the cross hatch in the cylinders and no ridge on the cylinders. I think I'm good to go.

Thanks

+1
    Easy to power up dash.
    Do you have a factory service manual? Page 7-38
    You will definitely need one.

+1
    If you specify exactly what you want with crankworks, they can actually build you a better crank than the OEM at a lesser price.

Head and exhaust manifold gasket are reuseable.

Yeah, you should go with rebuilding the carbs, if not, go through them just to clean them.

Consider going premix to simplify your life.

Question just want to be sure...any thoughts?

Hey Salty, I know this came-up before/it's a little confusing, but are you absolutely positive the head gasket can be reused? I would be scared to even re-use the metal one's as I was told by several folks it's not a good idea due to deformation/pressure/application. Too, if it is a different head and/or a head milled/cut it may change the mating surfaces.

I just bought another head gasket for my xlt winter project, and I'd love to re-use the old one...and I can see the exhaust gasket being re-used as the pressure is not as great as the head...BUT(?)

I'd just hate to see someone with a blown head gasket, that's all. I appologise for any confusion... .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mcgreehan View Post
    ........ I would be scared to even re-use the metal one's as I was told by several folks it's not a good idea due to deformation/pressure/application. Too, if it is a different head and/or a head milled/cut it may change the mating surfaces.....

If you have gone from a 1200 to a 1300 conversion, (application) that is a different story. Even if you use aftermarket heads, if the application calls for the same gasket, then it is reuseable.

Now for the disclaimer: IF your gasket is bent, if it shows signs of communication (leakage) between the water side and the cylinder, for instance discoloration or perhaps the paint is gone, then don't use it. It is HO that it can be used several times. I can say this because I've done it with no problems on a stage II application.

It is always safe to say "don't use it", but it is always expensive too. Another way of putting this: if there is no "deformation/pressure/application" issues, then it can be reused.

As far as your exhaust gasket is concerned, take a look at it to see if there is any baked on oil around the exhaust port holes. If there is, then that is telling you that your exhaust gasses are actually hitting your gasket as it exits the cylinder. In other words, it is a restriction. The gases should flow with no turbulance. You might want to try to enlarge the holes a tad without damaging the gaskets.

Thread Information