Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Exhaust Manifold Repair

Hey guys I think I recalled someone making or doing a "FIX" for the exhaust manifold because the heat would esentially melt the end away. I seem to recall there was some sort of stainless fix to prevent this from happening, does anyone know who did these and if so does anyone still put the stainless inserts on the manifolds? BTW it's where the J pipe meets the exhaust manifold.

+1
    I remember what your talking about and if my memory serves me right the eventually came loose and apart....Your melted bell isnt gonna cause any issues if you dont have it there.as long as it isnt eatin up to the flange....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I remember what your talking about and if my memory serves me right the eventually came loose and apart....Your melted bell isnt gonna cause any issues if you dont have it there.as long as it isnt eatin up to the flange....

Sno It isn't completely melted but a small piece of the flange is missing, any ideas on how to fix this?

+1
    cheaper to buy a used one off of the classfieds.there are a couple that i seen.one for a hundred shipping included in the usa.i have one but it is 100 plus shipping and paypal fees.cheaper to do the first one.thanx richard.

+1
    The guy that found your problem could have told you who made those

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rjeffery View Post
    cheaper to buy a used one off of the classfieds.there are a couple that i seen.one for a hundred shipping included in the usa.i have one but it is 100 plus shipping and paypal fees.cheaper to do the first one.thanx richard.
    the problem is if i buy another one it will do it again. with the increased rpm's it will burn the bell or chunk it off so I don't want to buy another because the stainless insert should do the trick.

Banned User
    +1
    Chin, no worries. If you have the manifold off, just cut it flush...

When my father's comapny was contacted by BRP back in early 07 to redesign flex coupler within the Jpipe setup (they went with the midpipe instead), he had to work around the endbell as they were going to use it as is for the next few years of motor production. He asked why it was designed like that, and the explanation he got was a 2 part reason....1) The endbell is designed like that to restrict gas flow backwards and heat up the non-water jacketed area of the exhaust (the flex area) and 2) to locate the Jpipe center before being tightened down in assembly...

On a side note, the old stainless end bell fix had a few issues. Mainly with it being metal, it would expand. If the tolerance was too tight, it would expand and LOCK the flex, causing a premature break of the master weld seam, which, welded the flex/exhaust/waterjacket with only one weld...I repaired several flex setup in the past few years, half of them had the endbell replacement...

So yea, just "whack it off"

+1
    Or go with an 08 exhaust set-up. It's is much easier on the mani's.

+1
    Just use it and dont worry about it. COrrect the fueling issue and or stop hitting hard on the limiter. When you are on the limiter temps will spike. I have never in are texas area had a problem with a rude 1 set up like yours. Unless you are ridding it in cold ass weather or changed your charger. Andy find this out for you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Chin, no worries. If you have the manifold off, just cut it flush...

When my father's comapny was contacted by BRP back in early 07 to redesign flex coupler within the Jpipe setup (they went with the midpipe instead), he had to work around the endbell as they were going to use it as is for the next few years of motor production. He asked why it was designed like that, and the explanation he got was a 2 part reason....1) The endbell is designed like that to restrict gas flow backwards and heat up the non-water jacketed area of the exhaust (the flex area) and 2) to locate the Jpipe center before being tightened down in assembly...

On a side note, the old stainless end bell fix had a few issues. Mainly with it being metal, it would expand. If the tolerance was too tight, it would expand and LOCK the flex, causing a premature break of the master weld seam, which, welded the flex/exhaust/waterjacket with only one weld...I repaired several flex setup in the past few years, half of them had the endbell replacement...

So yea, just "whack it off"
    So Danny where exactly do I " whack it off" can you show me a pic? LOL ! so if I do ut if off at the end how does the mating surface seal? Won't there still be an exhaust leak because that's what's going on now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information