Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Main bolts on 4tec?

GUys I have rebuilt a few 4tecs around 10ish and I have never noticed the main bolts having loctite on them at all. The manual says to use Blue and I have always done it per the manual, but I always ask myself each time why the main bolts when removed from a virgin motor seam to not have any loctite on them at all and seam as if they were just installed with oil..

Whats are you guys thoughts on this, Is it rotax just being over protective in the manual thinking the loctite is a safty measure? Not trusting rebuilders? Or what?

+1
    I use red loctite on the stock Main bolts and the arp lube when I put the arp main studs in, never had any issues either way.

+1
    WOW red loctite? I am OK with Blue. But still unsure on ROtaxs method from the factory? Loctite or just oil?

+1
    i use arp moly lube on the mains.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    i use arp moly lube on the mains.
    Same here. Whenever I pull one apart there is nothing on them other then oil. If it ever had to come back apart it would take a huge amount or work to get all the loctite out of the case threads to get an accurate torque reading again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Same here. Whenever I pull one apart there is nothing on them otyher then oil. If it ever had to come back apart it would take a huge amount or work to get all the loctite out of the case threads to get an accurate torque reading again.
    It's really no extra work, I Chase all the threads on the block while cleaning it when I do a rebuild, makes reassembly even easier. Cleaning all the factory loctite off the main caps is way more of a pain in the butt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    ...... Cleaning all the factory loctite off the main caps is way more of a pain in the butt!!!
    ++2!!! This is a personal pet peeve of mine. What's the deal with that yellow loctite they put on the caps? Those caps are a bee-yatch to remove, and a pain to wire-brush off that yellow stuff. And even worse, the idiots at BRP don't put new O-rings in the complete engine gasket kit, so you have to order them separate if you want new ones. What, do they think with all that yellow crap, there ain't no way that it's going to leak? BRP must assign some junior person to come up with the gasket kits, as they have never made any sense whatsoever. (like one of my favorite, in the complete engine kit for the 951 engine, they include the exhaust pipe gasket, but not the gaskets from the engine to the exhaust manifold, WTF??)

+1
    Arp moly sounds great. Didnt really think of that. I always just did what the manual called for, but was just confused as heck to why they didnt have it on there new. Hell they love the yellow shit. Its on every other bolt.
    Thanks I will use the moly good tip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Arp moly sounds great. Didnt really think of that. I always just did what the manual called for, but was just confused as heck to why they didnt have it on there new. Hell they love the yellow shit. Its on every other bolt.
    Thanks I will use the moly good tip.
    pay pal me my $10 for giving up good info...thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    pay pal me my $10 for giving up good info...thanks!
    You'll get paid when my head goes your way. Just stackin away the cash from OT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information